• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken barrel conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCunn

40 Cal
Reaction score
About fifty years ago, I bought a .50 Hawken with a 15/16" 29 inch barrel that was a tack driver. I loaned it to a 'friend' to go deer hunting. He kept it for about 6 months and returned it with a different barrel that was extremely loose in mid-bore and gave terrible shot groups (he kept my barrel without me knowing it at the time). I didn't spot this till the next time I fired the rifle, and when I called his hand on it, he claimed that he no longer had his T/C and my barrel was long gone along with it.

It upset me; I was disgusted and put the rifle away for a half century. I just now pulled it out and cleaned it up, thinking that my grandson might want it. I'd like to replace that bogus barrel, either with another .50, or with a .54.
What are my options? (I'm kind of leaning toward a .54 barrel)

I used to shoot a fair amount of percussion stuff, but haven't in years, and am no longer current on background information, so should probably be considered as a total newbie.

Thanks, all.

Call Bobby Hoyt about reboring it to 54 caliber. About $150 including shipping to and from. You have to call him. No website or email.

Robert Hoyt
Freischutz Shop,
2379 Mt. Hope Road.
Fairfield, Pa. 17320.
phone # 717-642-6696

And be a bit more selective with your ‘friends’.

"And be a bit more selective with your ‘friends’."

:)
I've only been bitten that way three times. For someone my age, that's probably ahead of the game.

Track of the Wolf lists Green Mountain roundball drop-ins in both 50 and 54 cal percussion and list them as being in stock.

They also list the LRH fast twist in 50cal as being in stock.

Track of the Wolf lists Green Mountain roundball drop-ins in both 50 and 54 cal percussion and list them as being in stock.

They also list the LRH fast twist in 50cal as being in stock.

Do we know it to be a TC?

I'm with Smif, I have had three rebored by Hoyt. Both economy and quality wise it's a good way to go.

Do we know it to be a TC?

I'm with Smif, I have had three rebored by Hoyt. Both economy and quality wise it's a good way to go.

Since the title line says “T/C Hawken barrel conversion” I’m gonna take a WAG and say yes, we do know it is a T/C.

Bubba is correct, TOW has GM drop in barrels for TC 15/16” stocks for $270. I have multiple GM LRH and roundball barrels, and they are great barrels. The GM barrels are 32” long, so depending on the age (and size) of the OP’s grandson, he may want to consider the rebore of the original 28” barrel and have a slightly lighter gun. Personally, I prefer the 26” Renegade length barrels, but that’s just my opinion.

I have Green Mountain barrels and have been happy with them. To me the decision would ride on the following things;

1. Is the original T/C barrel in good cosmetic condition externally? If yes, see #2. If no, buy the Green Mountain barrel from TOW.
  2. Does the Hoyt rebore cost less than the Green Mountain replacement barrel? If yes, then call Mr. Hoyt. If no, you should consider the Green Mountain Barrel as they are quality barrels. The fact is you can sell the old barrel and recover some of the cost of the replacement Green Mountain barrel reducing the overall cost of a new barrel.
Just my 2 Cents on the matter.

The last barrel Mr. Hoyt did for me I believe cost $12-$13 to ship to him and he wanted $140 for his work and return shipping. I’d figure a little over $150 depending on shipping. TOW will be $270 plus shipping.

It is a T/C Hawken, and the barrel looks pristine externally. Reboring it is a great idea, but I wouldn't sell the barrel to anyone with the bore in its present condition because it would make me feel guilty.

So, sounds like rebore the existing barrel to .54, and also purchase a new .50 barrel to replace the original. Does the replacement barrel come with sights installed, or do I need to purchase them separately?

For what it is worth, ask Bobby what thinks. If he believes it will be a problem or not safe, he will turn the job down. We are just offering unqualified opinions, while Bobby is what they call a subject matter expert.

I wouldn't sell the barrel to anyone with the bore in its present condition because it would make me feel guilty.

Please don't think I was suggesting you hide the fact the bore was in poor condition if you sold it. Believe it or not, there are a fair amount of folks looking for barrels with poor bores so they can have a re-bore done.

Since your barrel looks good externally, I think you made a good decision to have it re-bored.

If you want a .54 barrel?, then like other’s have mentioned, a Green Mnt. They are 1:66 twist and 15/16 barrel that’ll fit in your existing TC stock. You’ll need a 15/16 barrel regardless of caliber for that stock.

TC offered a .54 TC Hawken and Renegade , but those barrels were 1” across the flats and wouldn’t fit in your existing stock.

Don’t know if Bobby Hoyt will work on a bulged barrel? Might depend on how bad it’s bulged? Anyway, guess you might want to give him a call like others have suggested.

I do have a TC Hawken with a 32” GM barrel in .54 that I bought from TOW. They are also 15/16 barrels. Has an excellent 1:66 twist that’s extremely accurate. The only change I made on mine was to switch out the ramrod thimbles from blued to brass. Used the existing brass thimbles off my original TC barrel. Wanted all the original brass furniture to match I guess?

Respectfully, Cowboy

The barrel is not bulged. The problem was a manufacturing defect when the bore was drilled. I would expect that reboring to .54 would eliminate it entirely.

I too, will retain the original brass thimbles.

Since the title line says “T/C Hawken barrel conversion” I’m gonna take a WAG and say yes, we do know it is a T/C.

:doh: :eek: completely walked right past the title.

Send it to Hoyt. If he can't do it, worst case your out 15 bucks.

Back