• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken .54 new to me, first time out issues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my new to me T/C Hawken .54 at the range today.
First shots have been sixty grains of FFF with patched round ball. I tried at 50 and wasn't hitting the target. Moved the target to 25 and was hitting 6 inches to left but okay on elevation. I've moved the rear leaf as far as it will go, with the hole only moving three inches closer to point of aim.
Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

I have a walker that first time out at 25 yards was right 10", low 10". Of course no adjustment. Got home and cleaned it real good. Looked at crown. It did not have the characteristic bevel around the bore. I took a 1/2" ball file and by hand turning it in reverse so it would not bite, turned it till there was an even bevel across the lands and grooves. Now it shoots on but just a bit high by like 3". Normal for the gun. Might be something to check plus make sure the crown is square. Also on a rifle especially check that the bore at front is well centered. Get a dowel rod that fits the bore firm but will slide. Long enough you can see if there is any pointing left to center line of barrel. If there is the bore was drilled crooked and not much you can do. If it is minor enough and barrel is thick enough you might be able to have it bored up to 58. Depending on cost it may be cheaper to rebarrel.

I had my new to me T/C Hawken .54 at the range today.
First shots have been sixty grains of FFF with patched round ball. I tried at 50 and wasn't hitting the target. Moved the target to 25 and was hitting 6 inches to left but okay on elevation. I've moved the rear leaf as far as it will go, with the hole only moving three inches closer to point of aim.
Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

If I have my math right you are only off by about 0.375 degrees. I say crown.

My T/C Hawken .50 behaved like this. My solution was to straighten (or bend) the barrel till it shot to center when the sights were centered. (I hate off-center front sights.)

If you're handy, careful, patient, and really enjoy time in the shop the procedure is not difficult. (This assumes equipment more sophisticated than a Dremel and Leatherman multi-tool.) If that's the case I'll share links to how to proceed and will explain my technique. If you're a bit squeamish I'll stop talking.

My T/C Hawken .50 behaved like this. My solution was to straighten (or bend) the barrel till it shot to center when the sights were centered. (I hate off-center front sights.)

If you're handy, careful, patient, and really enjoy time in the shop the procedure is not difficult. (This assumes equipment more sophisticated than a Dremel and Leatherman multi-tool.) If that's the case I'll share links to how to proceed and will explain my technique. If you're a bit squeamish I'll stop talking.

I would imagine it would be similar to an arrow straightening rig but scaled up a might. I will check with a buddy who has more suitable tools.

I would imagine it would be similar to an arrow straightening rig but scaled up a might. I will check with a buddy who has more suitable tools.
The technique is exactly the same as arrow straightening. And my setup with v-blocks and a c-clamp is very similar to an arrow straightening jig.

I'm fortunate to live in the boondocks. I was able to apply some pressure in my shop, go outside to shoot a group, and repeat until my groups were aligned with my sights which were centered on my barrel. It took a while -- maybe two hours -- but I was being meticulous. The project was very satisfying. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment doing it to another rifle.

My TC .54 renegade is like that, if the front sight is centered it shoots to the right, so much so that the rear sight would have to be at the end of its left adjustment. I did a combination of tapping the front sight to the right and moving the rear sight to the left.
I would also suggest upping the charge before adjusting sights. Mine shoots best groups at 80 grains of 3f. Groups are also horrible if I don't swab between each shot. That actually also reminds me that when I don't swab, my groups take off to the left quite a bit. What size groups are you getting?

My TC .54 renegade is like that, if the front sight is centered it shoots to the right, so much so that the rear sight would have to be at the end of its left adjustment. I did a combination of tapping the front sight to the right and moving the rear sight to the left.
I would also suggest upping the charge before adjusting sights. Mine shoots best groups at 80 grains of 3f. Groups are also horrible if I don't swab between each shot. That actually also reminds me that when I don't swab, my groups take off to the left quite a bit. What size groups are you getting?
I'm getting a 1" group at 25m with the 60g of FFF. I'm trying to correct the sights on it first. The rear leaf has some issues. I took the leaf apart as it wasn't adjusting correctly.

I'm getting a 1" group at 25m with the 60g of FFF. I'm trying to correct the sights on it first. The rear leaf has some issues. I took the leaf apart as it wasn't adjusting correctly.
Hope its that simple. Being less than 1/2 a degree it has to be.

If you want to stay with 60gr then moving the sights sounds like your best bet. But, if you plan on shooting higher loads you might increase the charge, even to 70gr, to see what happens.

Back