• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken 50 cal with a cracked stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to stop at one of my honey holes on the way home from work yesterday and came across a T/C Hawken 50. The rifle was in good shape except for a hairline crack on the hammer side at the back of the lock running 3" towards the butt of the stock. They had it priced at $225 and was wondering how good of a deal this was. If the stock hadn't been cracked, I wouldn't have hesitated at buying it.

I've been dabbling in period-style repairs and that sounds like a good candidate. Wonder how low a cash offer they'd accept in light of the crack? I've seen some bad breaks patched back together and shot for years afterward, and I own an original plains rifle whose wrist fracture looks like a horse fell on it. It was repaired "back in the day" and is still holding up. Considering how good Hawken barrels are selling north of $225 right now, you'd probably be okay if the bore is in good shape.

I won’t be able to get back there until Thursday, so I may go offer them less and see what happens, if it is still there. I could always keep the barrel sell the stock and have another option for my T/C Hawken in 45.

I won’t be able to get back there until Thursday, so I may go offer them less and see what happens, if it is still there. I could always keep the barrel sell the stock and have another option for my T/C Hawken in 45.
Since you already have a .45, if the stock ever gives you a problem, you've got a back up in your .45, besides as others have said, the barrel and parts are worth more than the asking price.

I always wanted a .50 barrel for my T/C .45 Hawken, but never looked very hard. All the barrels I had seen over the years on ebay commanded a high price even with not so great bores. A couple of months ago, I just happened to be scanning through the T/C parts on ebay and found an early T/C .50 barrel in near mint condition, bore was clean, crisp, and original sights. It also included an original ramrod and wedge which showed little signs of use. He wanted $300 with the "Make an Offer" option. I offered $275 and he took it. When I received the barrel, it was one of the barrels made by Sharon and was better in appearance than what I saw in the photos. All in all, I'm happy with the price since a GM was $289 when Track had them available.

Many of the TC's have cracked in the area you are talking, however the asking price is a little stiff, at least in my area. One would be lucky to bring $125 here, but depends where it is at. Check the serial number, if it has a K in front it is a kit and may have hidden faults not visible due to assembly.

Anything in ballpark of 200 to 250 if the barrel looks good you won't get hurt on. I've repaired several simular to what you describe by drilling a cross hole across crack then gluing in brass pins to reinforce the crack area. Many cracks around lock can be caused by overtighting holding screws

The 50 was definitely not a kit gun but there was a TC Hawken 45 kit gun that was sitting right next to it and he was asking $225 for that one also. It seemed to be put together well but I already have multiple 45’s.

Many of the TC's have cracked in the area you are talking, however the asking price is a little stiff, at least in my area. One would be lucky to bring $125 here, but depends where it is at. Check the serial number, if it has a K in front it is a kit and may have hidden faults not visible due to assembly.
Man I want to live where you live! I can buy TC's fairly reasonable around here but these days $125 bucks won't buy a TC lock let alone a whole rifle.

The 45 TC's I have seen at 2 auctions have been bid rather stiff, for reasons beyond me, but the 50 and the big 50's especially if the serial # is a K just doesn't seem to attract many bids.
The geographical area does make a difference and I don't think that is any different than when the original rifles were built., Funny you mention TC locks, I have replaced a many of them with traditional flat spring locks over the years. I am not saying they are good or bad, but they get sloppy, I am talking about a working weapon, not an average range or occasional plinker. And, not meaning bad mouth the TC all together, however there were a few years their barrels were just not the greatest.
That being said the merchandise in question is like any other, what the seller and buyer agree is the market value to each at the time.

Anything in ballpark of 200 to 250 if the barrel looks good you won't get hurt on. I've repaired several simular to what you describe by drilling a cross hole across crack then gluing in brass pins to reinforce the crack area. Many cracks around lock can be caused by overtighting holding screws
Good response. Brass pins, or even dowels, do not scare me away from a gun that has been repaired. To me, they tell part of the story of the life of the gun and add character to it. I'll betcha lots and lots of guns were repaired back in the day.

Good response. Brass pins, or even dowels, do not scare me away from a gun that has been repaired. To me, they tell part of the story of the life of the gun and add character to it. I'll betcha lots and lots of guns were repaired back in the day.
Amen. Many of the really old rifles I’ve seen sported some sort of repair work to stock, barrel, or both done in the distant past. Well, it at least looks like it was done a long time back.

The 50 was definitely not a kit gun but there was a TC Hawken 45 kit gun that was sitting right next to it and he was asking $225 for that one also. It seemed to be put together well but I already have multiple 45’s.

Try making an offer for both the .45 T/C and the .50 T/C with the cracked stock. If you can get both for around $300-$350, you can cherry pick the best parts to make the .50 to keep, and sell the .45 to get your money back.

Back