• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Perryman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot my T/C Renegade Flintlock this morning for the first time in over a year. The first shot was a FTF ( no sparks at all ), but everyone after that she went bang. She doesn't throw a pan full of sparks, but she shoots with no delays or hang fires. It was a new flint which I installed bevel down. After 8 shots, the flint still looks new and straight. I'm going to see how many shots I can get out of it before it misfires.....
Any other T/C flinters out there ?

My first flinter, was a TC Hawken. I still have it. It was an early one, so I put a new lock with the redesigned cock and frizzen. The old one was probably okay, but TC replaced it for free, when I tried to buy one.

I hunt with it, but for some reason missed two does, which is unlike me. I have taken some nice trophy bucks, but I must have flinched off the flash. I've been shooting it a lot, so hopefully I'm ready now.

I also had a Renegade flint, but let a friend talk me out of it.

My first Muzzle loader was also a T/c Hawken. It was, unfortunate for Me, the early ones with the shallow case hardened frizzen! Dang thing almost drove me nuts. A fellow shooter recommended i get a Lyman Frizzen and put on it and turned it into an accurate and reliable shooter.

I shoot one also.
Mine is an older "Hawken style" rifle..(1970's vintage). S&W replaced the entire old lock with one of the new design versions for me a couple of years ago.
I found that shooting "bevel up" causes the flint to strike the frizzen straight on, rather than at a bit of an angle, as I believe it should. The result of that straight hit is gouges in the frizzen face and reduced flint life.
As a result,I shoot "bevel up". I also replaced the T/C frizzen with a Lyman. It take just a little fitting, or...you can order one Pre-fitted for a T/C from RMC Oxyoke (http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/home)
for $29.00. I believe it is a better product than the original T/C frizzen.

Thanks fellows for your responses....I forgot to mention that I also found that the TOW English flints (I believe the 3/4 x 3/4)sparked best with the bevel down. In the past she had never gone longer than 3 shots before I had to knap the flint or replace it. Yesterday was a record for her. I do not know what I did different, but whatever it was it worked. When the weather breaks, I'm going to see how many shots I can get out of that flint.

my experience is almost exactly that of Leadslinger's ... bought a Lyman frizzne about thirty years ago and it worked great until about four years ago when I called T/C to see what a replacement would cost, and the nice lady there said to just send in the whole lock and they'd replace it with the new design for free, which the did...

lots of people 'look down their noses' at the T/C 'hawken' - like rifle, but they're pretty darn reliable, and they sorta grow on you, like your favorite pair of beat up boots...

first muzzle loading rifle I bought ... still fun to shoot!

make good smoke!

How long ago did they replace your lock with the new parts? I sent them an email about getting a new style cock for my Hawken and they replyed they no longer make or service the Hawken style. :idunno:

I've heard some pretty unsavory things about S&W lately - don't know if it's true, but their treatment of the ML world bolsters the claims.

If my T/C lock went belly up, and I couldn't get replacement parts on FleaBay, I'd have to plonk down some of my hard earned, overtaxed, God- entrusted dollars on an L&R replacement lock.

Having said that, I'm not about to abandon the T/C rifles I own.

TC replaced my lock, shortly after S&W took over. I cant remember exactly when. I offered to buy it, and I never expected them to replace a lock on a rifle that someone else bought some thirty plus years ago.

TC had a lifetime warranty but redoing old worn and poorly taken care of pawn shop finds, should not apply. TC spoiled the public.

A friend of mine, put a soaking wet Renegade into a case and left it for several days. When he opened the case, the stock was cracked. He wanted me to send it back, for him. I told them the truth and ask for a quote on replacing the stock. A few weeks later, they sent me the gun with a new stock and no charge. That is just too much to ask for.

S&W is excellent on repairing the firearms, that they made, but they are not going down that road.

About a year ago S&W gave me the same answer as others here, they no longer serviced the T/C side locks. My flinter was an issue since day one, loved the rifle in the safe hated it at the range. So I bought a L&R RPL lock for it and it's now one of my favorite rifles. Shoots great with the new lock, fast and fun, only wish it were that way from T/C.

Shot her again Tuesday. The first shot was instantaneous. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th FTF (no sparks). I knapped the flint and got four shots before she stopped sparking. So 9 shots was the limit before knapping. I converted her back to percussion.
I didn't give up on flinters as I took my JB out today and shot her 10 rounds for a total of 25 rounds on same flint. The last couple were fast but not instaneous. NO FTF's. I discovered that JB likes a full pan (2F). I had to use a felt pad and double patches to keep her from burning thru!!! .490 balls and .018 patches.

Gene, I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Perhaps I've managed to do something to propitiate the flint gods, or something (can't imagine what) but I haven't had anywhere near your hassle with the T/C flint.

Perhaps an L&R replacement lock is in order.

or stick with that new- fangled percussion gadget (which I personally thing is just a passing fad.) ... either way, good luck with your project, and

make good smole!

I had a T/C hawken in .50 cal flint and never had any issues with those agate flints !!....

Gave in and put the flintlock back on my Renegade. Shot 12 RB's today for a total of 22 with same flint.
The flinter is so much more fun than the percussion even though with the percussion lock she's a tack driver.......

Couple weeks ago a friend of mine picked up a T/C .45 caliber flintlock (25 years old at least, maybe older) for $150.00... This was his first flintlock so I went to the Range with him and walked him through the steps after he cleaned his new rifle.

Got to say it was fast and accurate, and he had a blast. :thumbsup:

I never seem to find bargins like this! :shake:

Hey Leadslinger I also own and shoot T/C flinters and percussion guns. Also live in Kittanning which makes us neighbors. PM me sometime if you like. Tom.

Back