• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C FireStorm Flintlock Stainless .50cal 26"barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CletusA1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Ok I am probably going to open Pandora's box here but what the heck.

I have been using my T/C FireStorm since I have adopted muzzle loading hunting here in PA about 15 years ago. No disrespect to any of our classic, wood, long riflemen brethren here....but I love this gun. I don't worry about banging it around and denting or marking the stock, its stainless so its easy care, it has some really nice fiber optic sights that came stock on it and there is a plug at the rear of the barrel that makes cleaning a snap. If I have one knock on it however, it is that it is a bit barrel heavy due to the light composite stock and I would like to lighten the trigger pull a little.

What say you?

I have one (flintlock version), got it pretty cheap years ago. While it was originally designed to use Pyrodex pellets, it works even better with loose powder. T/C manual says it will take up to three 50gr Pyrodex pellets or up to 150gr of FFg powder. This makes it a pretty stout little thumper.

I have never used pellets in it and don't plan to, loose powder ignites so quickly with its 360-degree circle of fire (Firestorm). As you have noted, the breech plug is easy to remove.

While it may make the traditionalists convulse, it's still a sidelock. I think T/C was trying to get people to buy a "traditional" rifle but with some modern features like the poly stock, fiber optic sights and stainless barrel metal parts.

They are nice rifles, to bad T/C abandoned the side lock guns. Hunting is on the decline in America. We need a flavor for everyone to get folks back to the outdoors hunting and fishing.

Last edited:
I have one (flintlock version), got it pretty cheap years ago. While it was originally designed to use Pyrodex pellets, it works even better with loose powder. T/C manual says it will take up to three 50gr Pyrodex pellets or up to 150gr of FFg of powder. This makes it a pretty stout little thumper.

I have never used pellets in it and don't plan to, loose powder ignites so quickly with its 360-degree circle of fire (Firestorm). As you have noted, the breech plug is easy to remove.

While it may make the traditionalists convulse, it's still a sidelock. I think T/C was trying to get people to buy a "traditional" rifle but with some modern features like the poly stock, fiber optic sights and stainless barrel metal parts.

They are nice rifles, to bad T/C abandoned the side lock guns. Hunting is on the decline in America. We need a flavor for everyone to get folks back to the outdoors hunting and fishing.
I have not tried loose powder in it, only pellets. I think I will try some loose powder and see if I can see the difference.

I have one (flintlock version), got it pretty cheap years ago. While it was originally designed to use Pyrodex pellets, it works even better with loose powder. T/C manual says it will take up to three 50gr Pyrodex pellets or up to 150gr of FFg of powder. This makes it a pretty stout little thumper.

And yes I agree that we need to encourage as many people, especially our youth, to learn to enjoy the outdoor sports of hunting and fishing. My sportsmen club has a black powder sub-group that provides support and instruction for anyone interested in shooting, hunting and black powder safety.

we kinda need a picture with the date and your user name next to the firearm in question
Sorry I'm new here and am learning the etiquette...

Attachments

• TCFirestorm.jpg
    TCFirestorm.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TCFirestorm1.jpg
    TCFirestorm1.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 0
Ok I am probably going to open Pandora's box here but what the heck.

I have been using my T/C FireStorm since I have adopted muzzle loading hunting here in PA about 15 years ago. No disrespect to any of our classic, wood, long riflemen brethren here....but I love this gun. I don't worry about banging it around and denting or marking the stock, its stainless so its easy care, it has some really nice fiber optic sights that came stock on it and there is a plug at the rear of the barrel that makes cleaning a snap. If I have one knock on it however, it is that it is a bit barrel heavy due to the light composite stock and I would like to lighten the trigger pull a little.

What say you?
I have TC Firestorm flintlock that I purchased new right after they came out. Ugly, but a good shooter. And you are pretty unlikely to hurt it. It has been a loaner and has gotten a few interested in muzzleloading, so it has served a purpose.

As far as the heavy trigger, I have lightened up my Firestorm’s trigger (and a couple of other TC single triggers) by changing the spring under the sear arm. You want to replace it with a spring that has the same free length and OD, but made with a thinner diameter wire, resulting in a spring that is little weaker (it doesn’t take much). My Firestorm has a trigger pull of around 3 pounds. Before changing springs, I would start by making sure all the burrs on the lock’s moving components are removed and everything is moving freely, then assembled and properly lubed. Can make a big difference.

I have TC Firestorm flintlock that I purchased new right after they came out. Ugly, but a good shooter. And you are pretty unlikely to hurt it. It has been a loaner and has gotten a few interested in muzzleloading, so it has served a purpose.

As far as the heavy trigger, I have lightened up my Firestorm’s trigger (and a couple of other TC single triggers) by changing the spring under the sear arm. You want to replace it with a spring that has the same free length and OD, but made with a thinner diameter wire, resulting in a spring that is little weaker (it doesn’t take much). My Firestorm has a trigger pull of around 3 pounds. Before changing springs, I would start by making sure all the burrs on the lock’s moving components are removed and everything is moving freely, then assembled and properly lubed. Can make a big difference.
Yes it is not a pretty gun, but practical.

Thanks for the suggestion on the trigger. I have just lived with it since I purchased it new but I am ready lighten the pull. I will check that the machining burrs are all removed first before I start fiddling with the spring.

Well, it's interesting. More traditional than the inlines. Sounds practical as a hunting tool. Definitely period correct for the 21st century.
When I bought it I was brand new to muzzle loading and none of my other hunting buddies participated in the Flintlock seasons so I had to learn it on my own. The guy behind the counter suggested it as "easy."

Back