• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C conversion barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy b

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C .50 cal perc hawken rifle that I'd like to use for Southern Colorado turkey hunting as well as target shooting. I am looking at possibly converting to .36 caliber. Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Inc. makes a complete drop in conversion but it only comes in .32 and .40 calibers. It is complete with under rib, ramrod, breechplug, barrel tenon, thimbles,and is machined for the sights. Not a bad deal for about $160. My question is, "Is the .32 cal too light for a turkey?" I feel that the .40 cal is too close to my .50 cal. to be of any help. Of course, I could always shoot for the head.
wink.gif
Then I might as well just use my .50. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

I know people that use a .22 Hornet for turkey.

T/C makes a .32 cal maxi-ball if you need more knock-down power, I think the .32 round ball will do nicely.

Remember, shot placement is the key.
A single #5 shot to the head will dispatch a turkey.

"Turkeys are not that tough..." You never here the crock hunter saying... "Blimey, we almost got our hides pecked off by that wounded turkey..."
grin.gif

Now, if you do go with the .40 caliber drop in barrel, try this....

You can double patch a .36 caliber round-ball if you feel the need to use a .36 caliber r/b.

Use a .019 patch for a .36 caliber plus a .019 patch for a .50 caliber along with the .360 round ball. (put the larger patch on the outside)

Musketman,
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go for the conversion. It's certainly less expensive than buying a whole new rifle. Are you familiar with the conversion kits or with the quality of Green Mountain products in general?

Not the kits themselves, however I did have a .32 caliber T/C Cherokee and it shot super fine.

I would assume if T/C makes or endorses the kits, then the drop in barrels should be up to their high standards.

FYI...I recently bought a .62cal Green Mountain barrel...it is a drop in smoothbore flint barrel to use in a 1" TC Hawken stock and it works great, was able to develop an outstanding turkey load with #6 shot.
Be aware of a couple things that were a surprise to me, if you want to maintain a "TC Hawken look":

1) Green Mountain drop in barrels have black thimbles...had to buy brass replacements;

2) Green Mountain barrels use lightweight black aluminum ramrods which appear to be made for them by Knight rifle company...had to buy a more traditional looking replacement ramrod;

I have a 40 cal.Green Mountain drop in barrel for my T/C it is the most accurate barrel I have from a bench it will almost put the balls through the same hole. If I could only do that freehand
rolleyes.gif
Some of the old timers thought that the 40 cal. was the best all around cal. Many states like Iowa you can't hunt deer with anything smaller that a 45 cal. so the 40 cal. fell out of favor with the manufactures.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I sent a snail mail letter to T/C to find out what they thought of Green Mountain (They don't seem to have an e-mail address) but I think I'll go ahead and order the drop-in on the strength of your experiences.

Tommy B, When you do get that Green Mountain barrel you should clean it thoroughly then lap it. I lapped my 50 with 200 grit lapping compound about 200 strokes checking the barrel every 25. It shoots sub 2 inch off the bench at 50 yards and sub 4 inch at 100. I shot mine before I lapped it and it was at 2 inch at 25. Big improvement. Take care, Rick.

No Powder again
My 40cal. G/M barrel came browned, brown thimbles, and a wonder rod ramrod now I have had this barrel for quite a few years. I did not lap it. Just started shooting it as I remember it took around 100 shots before the barrel really came in. I don't shoot it much anymore because I've gotted hooked on that *^*#@% smooth bore but when my grandson starts shooting this next spring I'm going to have him start with that barrel.

i also have a new green mountain barrel .45 , and after encouragment from rick , lapped the new rifling. now that the edges have been softened a little my patches look very good and the groups tightened more than i thought they could. now, shooting that barrel gives me more confidence than i deserve.

daniel

Ain't it always the case? I get all set to buy the barrel, have my credit card in my hot little hands, pull up the Green Mountain website, and they're out of stock. Oh well, I guess one thing that muzzleloading does teach you is patience.

I see that GM has added a new .40cal Hawken drop in barrel that's 38" long...if I can talk them into replacing the percussion breech with a flint,
I could convince myself I'd need one next year

Roger,
Thanks for the heads up on Track of the Wolf. I just ordered an IBS from them. What I don't understand, though, is how can they sell a GM IBS cheaper than GM themselves ($139 vs $162)?
Especially when they get them from GM??

Tommy B,
Track of the Wolf buys their GM barrels in bulk a lot cheaper than you can one at a time. I guess their markup isn't as high. Generally they are pretty nice guys to talk to there at Track.

Also, a friend of mine is a dealer for GM barrels and he tells me he can get them for about 20% less than Track sells them.

Horse Dr.

Horse Dr.,
Unless Track of the Wolf is out of them it's too late to help me on this barrel, but thanks anyway.
tommy b

Latest posts

Back