• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Bore Butter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years ago (2004) I did an exhaustive study of lubes and rust when I was working up one for personal use. T/C Bore Butter (aka Natural Lube 1000+ at the time) rusted about the same as the untreated steel base sample. Works for lube - as does spit, Crisco, congealed bacon grease, etc. Only advantage is it comes in a easy to use container.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/lube-war-1.1960/page-1

Last edited:
It's easy to buy and use-BUT it will run when out in the heat of a
sunny day or after firing a revolver. I have used different stuff
over the years, but anything made with a good percent of
beeswax will take heat better--atleast 50%. You want it stiff.
Bore butter is a good product, but needs a "Tropical" version.

I have used it for a very long time with absolutely no complaints and good performance. But that’s just me I guess. And I live in Wyoming where temperatures in summer aren’t crazy and almost no humidity. I use it for patch lube during hunting season and even if it’s super cold out never ever had an issue and have taken many mulies and antelope. Never had any rust on my rifles from extended period storage either. I will probably catch an ear full but it’s just my humble opinion!👍🏻

I use bore butter. I use pyrodex. I shoot maxi-balls and lee real bullets. I like them all and they have served me well. Clean your gun properly after use and you'll never have any problems with it. People listen to some ex-spurt and go in with a pre-conceived not likin' it.

I use bore butter. I use pyrodex. I shoot maxi-balls and lee real bullets. I like them all and they have served me well. Clean your gun properly after use and you'll never have any problems with it. People listen to some ex-spurt and go in with a pre-conceived not likin' it.
Agreed Good Sir!! I am absolutely a traditionalist and have been shooting these and infatuated with them for forty years. However the fun of our sport is experimenting and playing with all of the things that go with it. I love to try everything, and in the end it’s all about the time spent outside creating smoke and the small things in life like waiting for some new boolit mold or something to show up to the mailbox in the morning. Try it all. Some are great, some not as great. What works in some places may not do as well in others. Try store bought. Make some yourself. Get outside. Get creative. Read books on our forefathers. Experiment. That’s what keeps this alive and burning up our brains at night when staring at the ceiling. Just mho..

I don't use it as a lube, but after cleaning I coat the bore good and give the whole firearm a light coat over it. It has worked good for me in this respect for many years. Before shooting, I run a couple patches up and down the bore and fire a couple caps to clear the fire channel. Never have had a problem with it.

My only complaint is how runny it gets when it gets warm. Otherwise it has worked good enough for me for 40 years that I haven't bothered exploring alternatives until recently, now that I am retired.

Come see come saw!

Some use wd 40 to good effect.

Some use Ballistol.

Bear fat, deer fat, beaver fat,

Some mix with bee wax ... Some don't.

I personally ...

It's all about what works for you. I have used Bore Butter before and find ... for ME ... seems a bit light on lube and great in the smell dept.

Take your oil, lube, preservatives and rub between yer filthy fingers ... now go wash em with soap n water ... can you still feel the slickery on yer fangers? After smearing it on the inside o the barrel and wiping ... do it make a mess when shot with real powder?

This is the final result. Either it woiks or it don't!

Hence the "come see ... come saw".

I used it for years and recommended it and sold it for years. I would lube my patches by putting them in a ceramic bowl and put enough bore butter to saturate the cloth by microwaving them. You have to watch the time in the oven very carefully as the patches will turn brown and smoke if left in too long. This reminded me of the times I saw charded and smoking patchs after shooting. I tried Frog lube and found that it will take 4-5 times more heat and lubes great + protects the bore. It is pricy and you need it in the tub container which is hard to find. I always include some with every rifle I sell. Also the company is supposed to be veteran owned.

I started using BB about 25 years ago, up to that time I had used Crisco. About 5 years ago BB was getting hard to find close so I started making my own with olive oil and beeswax. I have a thin version for colder weather with more oil and less wax, and a summer version that dosent get runny.
Also found it makes a decent boot and glove waterproofing and great job on holsters as well.

I'll use it for a patch lube only because I have some. When it's gone, it's gone.
It is OK for what it is. It is no miracle cure but it is a good lube.
Yah, me too.
There lots of things you can use. I warn against it for rust protection, unless you use A LOT of it (not good) OR swab/wipe down your guns quite frequently, like, every couple of weeks when not hunting.

As stated, I use it for patch lube because I have some. When it's gone, it's gone.

I have used it for a very long time with absolutely no complaints and good performance. But that’s just me I guess. And I live in Wyoming where temperatures in summer aren’t crazy and almost no humidity. I use it for patch lube during hunting season and even if it’s super cold out never ever had an issue and have taken many mulies and antelope. Never had any rust on my rifles from extended period storage either. I will probably catch an ear full but it’s just my humble opinion!👍🏻
I use it with no problems but I live in Colorado with very low humidity ( like Wyoming )

I’ve used it for years. As a lube for patches and conicals it’s quite good, though it melts at too low a temperature for much summertime shooting here in Dixie. As a bore lube I have found it excellent for preventing rust. And it smells a million times better than Ballistol!
Jay

Back