• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c big bore 58 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lonewolf, FYI...I know exactly what you mean about "needing" something.

This spring I bought a .58cal GM drop in barrel to go into a TC .54cal Hawken stock...$190 through Ed Cain at Cain's Outdoor in West Va.

It's a 1" x 33" x 1:70" Flint round ball barrel with very deep grooves and probably the most accurate barrel I have...point and shoot and it just seems to find it's way into the bullseye...incredibly accurate.

I made several trips to the range trying 80, 90, and 100grs Goex FFg + Hornady (and Speer) .570/270grn ball (+ wonderwad + .018" pillow ticking).

All are equally accurate, settled on 100grns for a deer hunting load and will use it this fall...it's a powerhouse caliber in a tack driver barrel...and I can't imagine anything I'd hunt in north america that a 270grn round ball won't take

I have two T.C.'s in 58 caliber. Both are renegades, one is a percussion and the other a flinter. Both are awesome.

It's a 1" x 33" x 1:70" Flint round ball barrel with very deep grooves and probably the most accurate barrel I have...point and shoot and it just seems to find it's way into the bullseye...incredibly accurate.

I made several trips to the range trying 80, 90, and 100grs Goex FFg + Hornady (and Speer) .570/270grn ball (+ wonderwad + .018" pillow ticking).

All are equally accurate, settled on 100grns for a deer hunting load and will use it this fall...it's a powerhouse caliber in a tack driver barrel...and I can't imagine anything I'd hunt in north america that a 270grn round ball won't take

I, too, got a .58 GM barrel for a Renegade caplock that I had. I agree with roundball about the accuracy of that barrel and I was also impressed by how consistant it is over a wide range of powder volume. I know a .58 is more than necessary for hunting whitetail deer, which is what I will be doing with it, but with the way it shoots and the energy carried by that big ball, it certainly inspires confidence to the shooter.

STOP IT! I DON"T NEED ANOTHER RIFLE, ESPECIALLY IN A NEW CALIBER! YOU'VE GOT THE WHEELS SPINNING AND THE NEXT THING WILL BE LOOKING ON LINE FOLLOWED BY TELLING LIES TO THE OLD GIRL ABOUT LONG SKINNY PACKAGES ARRIVING IN THE MAIL... A POX UPON YOU FIENDS!

There. That said, do those GM barrels drop in w/o need of further fitting? Would you know if they carry drop ins in .58 cal. for flinters?

Yes, that's what I got...a .58cal GM FLINT drop in barrel for the TC Hawken...fit fine.

I had Ed Cain of Cain's Outdoor in West Va order mine from GM...he does a lot of business with GM and they actually didn't offer the .58 in a flint but he had them make it special order...they didn't charge him their extra fee for a special order as does so much business with them.

NOTE: GM barrels have black thimbles and a black aluminum ramrod with chrome tips...I replaced them with TC's brass thimbles and a solid brass ramrod to match the Hawken. furniture

ndbilly, I recently got one of the GM drop ins in .58 for my percussion Renegade and it did need very minor fitting. The rear of the under rib was in contact with the stock but all I had to do was trim off a small amount of metal. It fit fine otherwise. I have another in .40 that had the same issue. Could just be my gun. Either way no big deal.

[quoteSTOP IT! I DON"T NEED ANOTHER RIFLE, ESPECIALLY IN A NEW CALIBER! YOU'VE GOT THE WHEELS SPINNING AND THE NEXT THING WILL BE LOOKING ON LINE FOLLOWED BY TELLING LIES TO THE OLD GIRL ABOUT LONG SKINNY PACKAGES ARRIVING IN THE MAIL... A POX UPON YOU FIENDS!

There. That said, do those GM barrels drop in w/o need of further fitting? Would you know if they carry drop ins in .58 cal. for flinters? [/quote]

Yeah you do! You know you want it!

Green Mountain doesn't list a .58 drop in flintlock barrel. You will probably have to do as roundball suggests and contanct someone about a special order. You might also contact Green Mountain directly and see if they have any plans of making a run of them in the future. If enough interest is expressed to them, they might do this.

Latest posts

Back