• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Agate flints.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good ole boy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Isn,t it true that was they chip or crack they need tossed?I read that you can grind them to restore the edge.These are the manufactured ones I,m talkin about.

I have sharpened mine with a diamond file from Horrible Freight and have gotten a couple hundred shots out of them that way.

I buy them and use them when I find them marked down at Wally world. They work good for me and I don't have to get into my stash of good flints. I sharpen them and use them for range work. I use a diamond dusted plate that is used in the machining industry for shaping carbide end mills.

+2 on using them when they can be bought cheap. I get along fine with them but know they are pretty well disliked by most.

Larry

I've used TC cut flints w/ good results...they don't knapp as well but a few more shots are available if done. They seem to stand up quite well and have gotten 35 shots off of one.....w/o knapping.

Prefer to use natural flints because they knapp better, but in a pinch.....Fred

One of these days I am going to see if I can sharpen them with a 1/2" 45 deg. carbide spot drill on the CNC. It will probably break the agate but one never knows until you try it. They spark real well for me when they are new.

Several years ago, I found them on sale at Wally World and I bought three packages of them. I didn't like them at all. So, the two unopened packages became blanket prizes. I kind of felt bad for putting them on the blanket but the guy who got them seemed to like them okay. To the best of my knowledge, he didn't bother to buy any more, though.

I have a couple that worked fairly well in my SMR. I did sharpen one using a stone just the way I'd sharpen a knife.

Found a sporting goods store which the owner was trying to sell for yrs and this drove him to drinking.....but, every time I went into the store, he seemed sober. Perhaps his wife exaggerated a bit. Well....he had very "old stuff" that he had for many years and the price tags were also from many years ago...bought a few things from him including a TC Hawken kit, a lot of TC cut flints and some other MLer "stuff". The prices were unbelievable. He finally went out of business and the prices on the "old tags" were discounted 40% and I bought more "stuff", including TC cut flints. . Was this stealing?......Fred

I tried them once because they looked like such a good thing. They were not.

The commonly available knapped flints are much better and less expensive also.

I bought a couple off of ebay and tried them. They worked OK for me, but nothing like real flint. I keep them on hand to use in a pinch.

The last ones I got at Wally world were 3 for $4.50 which were regular priced at 9 something. At any rate 1.50 a piece and I never have a failure to fire within 50 shots or so on one. I use them for range work where I don't care when it gets dull; then I sharpen them and use them some more.

The stash of old Tom Fuller flints get used for hunting. I think I got them at 90 cents a piece a good many years ago. I bought some newer flints from Track a few years back and most of them were hump backs and much lower quality in my opinion.

Good flints are not cheap anymore.

Back