• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .50 Hawken and conicals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to address the original question but to get kinda close, the best bullet you can possibly shoot in a muzzleloader is the one you design yourself, make 'em, then proclaim they're are the best ever because you got 'em to work in a rifle.
That makes 'em the best because it's fun and fun is why we shoot muzzleloaders.

I looked at the CA approved list and TomBob ITX is on it. I love that the link you attached show “sold out”. Good grief is everything sold out these days. Many thanks for the info and tip on this. I’d rather shoot a PRB even though I’ve got a 1:48 twist. Although I do have a Frankengun with a 1:60 twist. I may try that for fun.

Again, many thanks for the info.
Assuming you are referring to my Ballistic Products link. Pretty sure (not 100%) when I posted it they showed as a available, but definitely showing out of stock now. Guess you can thank the internet, or my lack of observation skills. You may want to contact them about when they believe ITX balls will be in stock. They have been great to deal with, at least for me. Good luck.

No conicals for this fat kid.... I tried the 500g .58 in the Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter for deer, and after a dry day in the woods, the bullet eased off the powder enough to hit 12" low at 50yds, offhand.
Traded that thing off, and now I have a .56 Leman style barrel to drop into my Browning if I want to hunt. That one is good to go! Haven't slaughtered anything with it yet, but 270g of .56 lead at 1400 or 1500 fps should flatten something. And it's as accurate as the .50 offhand, too. Tinhorn

Oh, yeah, I forgot this- I made the Leman style barrel, complete with patent hook-breech, under-rib, underlugs, Lyman rear sight, Tinhorn brass blade front sight, cleaner/rammer jag ramrod, brass thimbles, the whole deal. Made from a 72" twist Numrich barrel I had from the early 70s. Draw-filed to a octagon-to-keystone taper for lightness and balance, as the heavy Brownings carry a lot of weight forward, and I wanted this baby for hunting only. I like it, really sweet roundball rifle, throws a heavy 270g ball with 100g FFG with authority. Should have enough 'bashiness' for hunting. Tinhorn

Assuming you are referring to my Ballistic Products link. Pretty sure (not 100%) when I posted it they showed as a available, but definitely showing out of stock now. Guess you can thank the internet, or my lack of observation skills. You may want to contact them about when they believe ITX balls will be in stock. They have been great to deal with, at least for me. Good luck.
Thanks, I was going to call them today to check on availability. Also, thank you for going to the trouble to do the research. All the best - Dan

OK, I just received the ITX .50 balls. They have a very nice belt around them. I’m thinking of using them for a pig hunt In July. I’m going to try them at the range first. Anyone have any advice about load? I usually load 65gr 2For 70gr 2F.

Last edited:
Believe the 50 caliber ITX balls weigh in around 155 grains. I’d start with One of your ‘normal’ loads and see what they do. If same point of impact, you are likely ready. The lighter ball should be zippier than lead, but shed velocity faster. You may want to use the heavier charge, but that is just me.

Believe the 50 caliber ITX balls weigh in around 155 grains. I’d start with One of your ‘normal’ loads and see what they do. If same point of impact, you are likely ready. The lighter ball should be zippier than lead, but shed velocity faster. You may want to use the heavier charge, but that is just me.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

I did a ton of shooting and experimenting with my CVA .50 1:48 twist. I found sabots did not stabilize well. The Hornady Great Plains Bullet did stabilize well but was hard to load (get started) going down the barrel so I carried PRB as reloads in the field.

l wish I had more GPB in .54 caliber and a few boxes of that in .45.

I can’t say I can think of a reason to use a conical unless your shooting a military gun designed for them.
i shoot ball, one big ball or an ounce of itty bitty balls.
I shoot some sort of historic wad.
When in the tall timber I like to pull the ramrod and check my load. It only takes a few seconds.
I check my prime at the same time. I have had frizzen catch on a twig and open just enough to spill a prime.
I’ve never had a loose shot, and real rare that I’ve lost a prime but what’s it hurt to check?
If’n you feel you have to shoot some sort of conical stop every little bit and give it a tap. If your in a stand ease the rod out and run home.
It’s a bit of chicken soup for your gun.

Not sure if they have started production back up but the 385 gr Buffalo Bullet lead conical shoots well.

Back