• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C 45 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way I actually live 30 miles from Beavertown. I am told the Getz company is closed and the owner passed away.

It will need a good cleaning and re blueing I’m thinking. But thanks so much for all the help today.

Hopefully, the previous owner took good care of the barrel. Check for rust and leftover powder fouling. If the barrel was well maintained, it should be a good shooter. Do you know why the previous owner sold the rifle? Age? Loss of interest? Pennsylvania was flintlock rifle only for BP hunting.

The barrel was browned and it looks ok from what I can see in the pics. Id leave the whole gun as is on the outside. The value will be determined by the interior quality of the barrel. Hard to tell without a bore light.

Ok. Thanks so much. We just realized it was brown. I am told it was owned by Mike Heilman. The guy who is selling it has another one and doesn’t need it. He is a good friend and knew I was looking for one for hunting here in PA.

Ok the spark is very strong. I’m not sure on the bore because I can’t check it yet.

Ok the spark is very strong. I’m not sure on the bore because I can’t check it yet.
Even if you were to find the bore a bit rough, it would still likely shoot ok. One other thing to check is the stock for cracks in the lock mortise/wrist area. Some of the early TC stocks had a tendency to crack, but a later design change by TC pretty much eliminated the issue. Look in the lock mortise where the lock plate screw comes through. If the stock is cracked, can be an easy repair, and if not, preventative measures can be taken if you want, although many of these guns have been used for years without issue.

Clearly the sights were both replaced with fiber optics. Would like to find an original set.

I un
No reason not to change the sights if you want, I was just pointing out that ‘original’ TC sights may not fit your Getz barrel. Just something to check out before ordering a replacement set of sights in my opinion.
I understand. Thanks for the advice.

It's worth what someone is willing to pay.
There's a real nice looking T/C Hawken .50 in the classifieds here for $450.

To check the condition of the bore, I use a steel pin punch. Pick a size that will drop down the bore easily, polish up the back of the punch and drop it in. Shine a good bright flashlight down the bore, the reflection off the punch will light up the bore.

Back