• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c 15/16 barrel in 1 inch stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have something that approximates that, plus some. A previous owner started with a stock for a 15/16" barrel, the re-inletted for a 58 cal barrel tapering from 1" at the breech to 15/16" at the muzzle. It worked, but he was running out of wood and options around the lock plate. I can't imagine you'll have any problems with the barrel channel past the lock plate, but the lock plate is going to take some adjusting, even if moving only 1/32" of an inch. Haven't looked closely to know if he had to bend the hammer a little, but I doubt it.

I did,(a cap lock). I carefully set the barrel in there with clear RTV silicon from the butt forward a few inches and again around the wedge area +/- a few inches.
Seemed to work just fine that season'
Long story short, when I did my fall cleaning for off season storage, I found a nasty crack coming from the top forward area of the lock mortise.
I can't really say why or how it happened or if it was related to the fab I did,, but I considered it a lesson learned and won't try it again.

I was able to salvage the cracked Renegade stock with a proper gluing and two small pins.
It's now a hunter and holds my Bobby Hoyt 20ga smoothy,, no more trouble.

I have a 15/16 GM barrel in a 1" Renegade stock. I have 3 shims in the barrel channel. I blended the tang and reblued it. Works great.

The Renegade looks better with the 32" barrel and the gap is barely noticeable. I also have a smooth bore barrel that fits the same stock.

Works for me. I agree if you dropped the gun or fell down, it would be more likely to break the stock. You could always glass the channel. I'm willing to use as is.

FWIW I often see TC stocks on e-bay. Go for between $60.00-$289.00 (approx). Mine busted while cleaning with a german sheperd and a ball nearby (cracked the stock at butt plate screw hole IN DEER SEASON). I was in a hurry and did a 4th grade repair so I will likely buy one "soon"

azmntman said:
FWIW I often see TC stocks on e-bay. Go for between $60.00-$289.00 (approx). Mine busted while cleaning with a german sheperd and a ball nearby (cracked the stock at butt plate screw hole IN DEER SEASON). I was in a hurry and did a 4th grade repair so I will likely buy one "soon"
I've never had any luck with that, the German Shepard keeps coming off the end of the patch jag.

Years ago my Dad restocked a caplock halfstock - maybe a TC. The guy from his lab at work brought a shoebox full of parts & also a brand new 15/16" barrel, and a used 15/16" stock. Dad just shimmed both sides of the barrel channel, then scraped a little to fit. After strip, stain & refinish, you couldn't even see the thin shim material. He bedded the bottom edges with a thin application of Acra-glas. I worked on shining up the brass and finishing the barrel with Plum Brown & we took it out to the range to try it out. Sights from the original barrel fit the new one with a little pinging to tighten up the front dovetail. It was amazing - if you could see a target, can, balloon or anything out to the 100 yard line, you could hit it. Dad presented it to the guy with the test target - big cloverleaf at 75 yards. He was so impressed with it that he hung it (target and rifle, both), over his mantel among with some old family heirlooms. He hunted with it a couple of times, asked me later about shining up brass, and years later gave it to his son & grandson to hunt with. The grandson is somewhere in his 30's now and I was told a couple of years ago that it's now hanging over his fireplace with all those other family heirlooms.

Back