• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Synthetic powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the shortage of real black powder, I am curious which of the synthetic powders you all consider as the better short term alternative.
I have used Pyrodex P and R, not crazy about it.

FYI Pyrodex isn't a synthetic powder.
It's black powder, de-engineered by cutting the potassium nitrate in half and substituting potassium perchlorate, and then reducing the sulfur, to allow it to be classified for lesser storage requirements at retail businesses.
The lower sulfur content is one reason it's tougher to ignite. First formulations of gunpowder [black powder] had very little amounts of sulfur and were known to need something like a steel wire, heated red hot to cause it to ignite.

MEDIEVAL CANNON.JPG

LD

With the shortage of real black powder, I am curious which of the synthetic powders......

First, there isn't a shortage, or price hike on black powder....yet.
Don't give them ideas

Second, there isn't any such thing as synthetic or replacement powders.

If you choose to buy manure propellants, why not just shoot a cartridge gun? Reloading cartridges is fun and therapeutic.....but there, you do see price hikes and artificial shortages.

Even if there was a BP shortage, or price increases, I refuse to support the foolishness. I won't purchase till the price comes down. It's capitalism and has to do with supply and demand.

I build, shoot & hunt with flintlockes and use black powder. My son lives in WY and hunts remote high in the mountains and goes in light and for 7-10 days at a time, I used to go with him and know how hard it is to maintain your flintlock in bad weather conditions. Several years ago I read that Alliant Powder Co with their "Black Powder Substitute" (that's exact name of their product) would ignite main charge in flintlockes. Had to try it and it does ignite and is non-corrosive and clean burning. Thought it might be worth considering. It's very course grained and volumn to volumn seems weaker than 2f. I've not experimented with it much lately and still have most of a full 1 lb container that I use once in a while. I wouldn't use it in place of traditional black for regular hunting in KY or at matches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is a blackpowder substitute or ersatz powder. It does generally go "bang", and usually easier to obtain.
It's marketed as a "black powder substitute", but if you read the MSDS, it's black powder that's been de-engineered just a bit, to comply with storage regulations, NOT because black powder was an actual problem. You have a better chance of dodging the hazmat storage regulations by using the word "substitute" rather than telling the regulators "it's a safer form of black powder". ;)

LD

I have some Triple 7 , haven't used any of it, my shooting buddy said it is good in .50 cal cap locks. I wouldn't use any of that pelletized substitute stuff made for inline shotgun primers. I don't think much of those "Modern muzzle loaders".

First, there isn't a shortage, or price hike on black powder....

Second, there isn't any such thing as synthetic or replacement powders.
Since none of those powders are the same as the real black powder and they were made in modern times to be used in place of real black powder, I will continue to call them "synthetic black powder" to differentiate them from the real stuff.

They all share the same difficulty in igniting and they all seem to leave less fouling in the bore. Their fouling also is often more difficult to clean out of the bore after the gun has shot them. None of them are what I consider to be "real black powder".

I suspect that when people read my posts and I call a powder a "synthetic black powder" they know exactly what I'm talking about, even if some disagree with the name I've chosen to use based on technical merits.
Clear communication is the name of the game when it comes to writing things in a post on a forum so, if everyone knows what I mean when I say "synthetic black powder", all is well. :)

It s a matter of time before P-Dex supplies run short.....or maybe not....some have professed they would never use it...
It can always be put into an empty goex can...wink wink.....hey whos to know? LOL

Agree! And when the rifle gurgles and burps and balks, just show her the bottle. "What are you talking about? Dont i treat you right? Look! It says right here, GOEX!"

Interesting, I had never heard of Alliant Black MZ and just read up on it. Looks like it has been discontinued.

iThanks for the info, I wondered if it was still available & should have checked before posting. It was an interesting product because of it was the only synthetic black that flash in the pan would ignite main charge.

Have six bottles of Black mz that works great in my percussion shotguns. I also use 2.5 inch brass in my 16 and 12 gauge vary effectively with Black Mz and hits hard and smoke greatly. Got my Black Mz from Sportsman Warehouse about a year ago.

Last edited:
FYI Pyrodex isn't a synthetic powder.
It's black powder, de-engineered by cutting the potassium nitrate in half and substituting potassium perchlorate, and then reducing the sulfur, to allow it to be classified for lesser storage requirements at retail businesses.
The lower sulfur content is one reason it's tougher to ignite. First formulations of gunpowder [black powder] had very little amounts of sulfur and were known to need something like a steel wire, heated red hot to cause it to ignite.

View attachment 65705

LD
Thanks

I had shot a buck a few seasons back. A direct boiler room shot. When the smoke cleared the Deer was standing there...he turned and looked at me as the ball extracted itself fell to the ground and the wound channel closing itself up. He then stated to me "sorry...you used pyrodex....it does not count" and trotted off. It was a real St. Hubertus experience.🤣

Back