• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Synthetic powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannehill

40 Cal
Reaction score
With the shortage of real black powder, I am curious which of the synthetic powders you all consider as the better short term alternative.

I have used Pyrodex P and R, not crazy about it.

Only have about a pound and half of 3 and 2 f flex!

@Tannehill You did not specify what type of gun you'll be using a substitute powder in. If using a percussion rifle or revolver 777 works good for me.

If using a flintlock, you'd best off saving the last 1.5 lbs of your Goex for priming the pan and using 5 grains or so of the real stuff down the bore before pouring the rest of the 777 charge. Never done it but I've heard of people using that method.

With the shortage of real black powder, I am curious which of the synthetic powders you all consider as the better short term alternative.

If you are not shooting a flinter, the substitutes work OK. Triple 7 seems to be a bit hotter. 65 to 70 grains is about like 80 black. I use the substitutes mostly in my black powder cartridge guns where ignition is more uniform (inside a self contained case), but I have shot lots of Pyrodex out of my caplocks with decent success. Definitely better than not shooting at all if you can't find the real stuff.

@Tannehill You did not specify what type of gun you'll be using a substitute powder in. If using a percussion rifle or revolver 777 works good for me.

If using a flintlock, you'd best off saving the last 1.5 lbs of your Goex for priming the pan and using 5 grains or so of the real stuff down the bore before pouring the rest of the 777 charge. Never done it but I've heard of people using that method.
I've done it before, it's just a bit of a pain in the ARSE. but if you are not under a Redcoat (no offense Britsmoothy) or Indian attack, you'll be OK.

You could think outside the box and stock up on blackpowder NOW as an alternative to synthetic powders as a short term alternative. Would also serve as a long term alternative.

Just because you "like" it doesn't mean it is the best performing powder for your load/rifle. I have one rifle that absolutely prefers Pyrodex to Goex or Triple 7. I have a rifle that prefers Triple 7 over Pyrodex but will shoot good with Goex too. You have to experiment some with powder and different loads to see if one is a stand out for what you're shooting.

American Pioneer is clean and shoot without shooting. I use goex and i need to clean between shots and after a bit of shooting clean out the drum .percussion pendersoli frontier 50 cal

Back