• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SXS origin ~~ help needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoever made it was proud enough to put a serial number on it well before it was required.
That is an interesting point and thanks for pointing it out. I never thought of it that way.

stay safe

Now looking decidedly Asian, and by that, I mean what WE call Asian here in UK. IOW, East of the Middle East, not Japan, Vietnam, Korea, et al. That there symbol looks vaguely lotus-y t'me...AND the stamped number 1's are upside down.........

A
Now looking decidedly Asian, and by that, I mean what WE call Asian here in UK. IOW, East of the Middle East, not Japan, Vietnam, Korea, et al. That there symbol looks vaguely lotus-y t'me...AND the stamped number 1's are upside down.........
I was thinking Indian but didn't want to throw off the conversation. Tried looking for some Indian made shotguns but didn't find anything similar.

Last edited:
Not sure about those markings. Germany didn't require proof marks I believe before 1890 so if the gun is German I don't believe those markings are proof marks.

No, Germany certainly has had proof marks since the late 18th century. Remember that Germany was NOT unified until the 1870's, and before that time was a collection of states, Prussia, Brandenburg, Hesse, Bavaria, Mecklenburg, Saxony and numerous others. Each of them had their own proof-house, which are still in operation today. The 1891 proof acts required that the guns, in addition to bearing the many and varying proof house stamps denoting calibre, weight of shot, details of powder and charge, type of bullet and so on, in the case of a shotgun, the bore diameter and type of choke, were also stamped with the imperial eagle.

Lots to read on a German gun.

None of which is here.

I will pull the locks and see what we find.
Meanwhile-------

Happy New Year to all

I'm heading towards the Northern part of the Indian sub-continent - as was. Peshawar, Hindu Kush, Dharra - that kind of thing. It's the snake and the flowers that are currently claiming my attention. Just don't sue me if'n I'm wrong, klar?

Have been advised that it is Pharisee Persian language of Iran.
Now if I could get it translated
test111 001.JPG

Pharsa? .( One of them) if so then more Persian. But if so it is strongly European continental stile other than that serpant.. But its such a one off its anyone's guess . That big a serial number dosn't ring true . & why that form of numbering ? they had their own numbers .Still do maybe some registration further East or West . again anyone's guess ?

.OK Got it figured. Some Persian Gun nut ( Im'e sure they must have had them ) Tells some Native gun maker to copy some Germanic gun his friend acquired only he wants the dragon sight (One up mans ship)And to .Gob a few stamps liberaly to confuse future arms historians . Go mad with the serial numbers and Low we have it sussed ! HMMM maybe.
Having fun Rudyard

Pharsa? .( One of them) if so then more Persian. But if so it is strongly European continental stile other than that serpant.. But its such a one off its anyone's guess . That big a serial number dosn't ring true . & why that form of numbering ? they had their own numbers .Still do maybe some registration further East or West . again anyone's guess ?

.OK Got it figured. Some Persian Gun nut ( Im'e sure they must have had them ) Tells some Native gun maker to copy some Germanic gun his friend acquired only he wants the dragon sight (One up mans ship)And to .Gob a few stamps liberaly to confuse future arms historians . Go mad with the serial numbers and Low we have it sussed ! HMMM maybe.
Having fun Rudyard
I think you've got it ☺☺

Maybe some day
I have a old cap lock SXS that I got a few years ago it has Damascus barrels I was a little hesitant to shoot it but it was just fine with light loads. Yours doesn't appear to have Damascus barrels but they could be weak in the rib.

The most-spoken language in Iran former Persia, is Farsi. I already pointed out that the serial number has the number 1 stamped upside down - not something any Western gunsmith would do. I'm going along with a kit gun, made to look semi-European.

Thanks for the help and input tac. It was appreciated.

Back