• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

swivel gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about Hern Iron Works? they used to sell a nice British Naval type swivel, IIRC, but last I checked thier webpage was down, they said they'd be back. :idunno: Also check Dixie Gun Works and Southbend Replicas, they will charge more but seem to have good tubes. :) I once worked on a 6pdr Dixie tubed piece once, and it was a beauty. The guy that owned it was a machinist and had turned and polished the outside to a high shine! Treestalker. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Never had success getting a call or e-Mail back from Hern -- think I was buying a howitzer at the time.

You might consider doing the same thing that one of our WV re-enactors/cannoneers did when he built a carriage for his reproduction of a WBTS mountain howitzer: Use local talent. = A local welder in Gerretstown, who owns a small "job-shop", charged him a flat 30.oo per hour plus cost of the steel to hand-craft all the various pieces of metal for the carriage.
(MY "just plain guess" is that, if you look around your county, that you'll find at least one competent blacksmith/welder/mill-right/machinist/tradesman, who will happily "take the private commission" & do a creditable job.)

Btw, when our "Red Team" built our "half-scale Conestoga wagon" for the 2007 OK Statehood Centennial Wagon Train a "vocational arts" teacher from Broken Arrow (OK) High School charged us (I believe that I remember correctly) 600.oo (and he provided the "used materials") for handcrafting all the various metal parts of the chassis/body. - We provided the teacher a set of blueprints from The Smithsonian "historic vehicles" catalogue & he did the rest AND on time, too.
(Fwiw, "Jack" did such a GREAT JOB that our team invited Jack/LindaSue to "go along" with us. - They spent one day with us during the OSCWT, as both of them were then teaching at BAHS.)

yours, satx

I bought a 1/3 scale 1841 6 pounder with a 1" bore from ebay. Cost me 400 bucks including frt. I had a guy make the yoke and handle, and slap hammer, and a worm another 100( cheap becasue of freind). Now I build my own implements and mount/stand (idea stolen from an earlier thread). What I had him do was buil the yoke removeable, along with the handle. That way I can also mount it in a naval/seige carriage. I am in the process of making a limber box. so far I think I have 700 dollars into it.
For the builing of the yoke take a drawing and the barrel to a local welder and se what he can do- Cost may be lower than normal because of the unusal build.

Latest posts

Back