• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swivel gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Joolz, I appreciate the picture of the limber box. It looks like a natural to accompany a medieval mortar crew. :) Could you please post dimensions and is it built fom dimension lumber and stock hardware? Thank you for your sharing. George B. :thumbsup: Also, if I may ask,why do the authorities dislike aluminum wrapped charges? We used a thin plastic bag wrapped with aluminum foil in 6 lbr to 18 lbr cannon with no problem except having to worm scrap out each shot. :confused:

I've often wondered why swivel guns don't destroy their mounts. That fixed piece of metal going in to a fixed piece of wood. Naval and field pieces are on carriages with wheels that roll. All that recoil force has to get transferred somewhere, and the point of transference has to take some kind of a beating, either with the metal or the wood.

Here's a shot of my 'everyday' artillery boxes - I make them in all kinds of sizes and weights - these are a little over a foot long and made from 9mm marine ply (the one above is twice that thickness, from pine, and much larger, and heavier). All the steelwork is adapted from commercially available items. These are the ones I use the most because they are tough and yet relatively lightweight (just over 2kg each empty):
ArtilleryBoxes1_zps5cbf77f1.jpg

Foil charges - I used to do exactly as you do, plastic (anti-static) bags wrapped in foil. However, there has been a noticeable move away from this over here (in the UK) from a Health and Safety standpoint as the H&S munchkins object to the idea of blasting molten aluminium in the general direction of the public/reenactors.

I'm not particularly convinced, however, I like making up these paper 'sausages', they look more PC/HC and, if you follow the 'three Ws' (Worm, Wet-mop and Wait for three minutes between shots), then I can't ever see there being an issue with them.....

PP - As promised, here are my tools. All have hardwood shafts. There's a worm (adapted from a drain-rodding worm, shortened, sharpened etc.), a wet mop and a dry mop (with coarse wool felt wadding) and a ramrod with an ash head. The last tool is my cleaning/scouring/oiling stick....
CannonTools1_zps826c0fa1.jpg

CannonTools2_zps87cdfce1.jpg

Thank you for your response Joolz. I understand the munchkin's concern, but like you said, the three W's rule. :) we had a standing rule of no reenactor within 50 yards/meters. :nono: The calvary was the worlds worst at ignoring it, and at Beaumont Ranch in Texas a few years back a horse and cavalryman were knocked down by the concussion of a six-pounder. :shocked2: Your paper charges look similar to American Civil War musket blanks, without the tail, of course. Love the limber boxes and am inspired build at least one out of dimension pine. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: thanks again, Tree

One of the unexpected, but very welcome, side effects of owning this kind of portable artillery is that, as word gets around, people from all over the place want you to star in their events. In the past few weeks, I have been asked to celebrate the opening of an exhibition at the Northumberland Fusiliers museum at Alnwick Castle:
AlnwickCastle_zpse8b60d6d.jpg

and been involved in filming of a BBC series at Bamburgh Castle:
BamburghCastle_zpsf2ac666a.jpg

Both stunning locations, with fantastic views and amazing acoustics (the sound of cannon fire rebounding off ancient stone walls is incredible!). We have dozens of castles in this part of England (defence against the marauding Scots!), I'm looking forward to the next one....

We're a bit spoilt for castles here, on the borderland with Scotland, due to centuries of having to defend ourselves from Scots invaders. I live 5 mins drive from Brancepeth Castle, 15 mins from Durham Castle (& cathedral), also Auckland Castle and Witton Castle, 35 mins from Raby Castle and Barnard Castle, and also Lumley Castle. I could continue, but you get the idea.....

Well, it's finally done. my 1" bore swivel gun. And again thanks to Joolz for the cannon mount. Mine is very similar(almost a duplicate). My limber box is a modiied hump back chest, I built a "carry" box for the unmounted gun and it's implements. I havn't taken any pictures yet but will soon and have to figure out how to post them again. I think I have less than a thousand dollars into it. But you can't count the countless hours finding stuff, and building stuff.
Cris

Great! We need pics!

I did another public event over the weekend. As usual, there was lots of interest, and scores of young'uns wanted to have a go firing it (I even had to double up, and have two kids holding on to the tiller at once, to keep up with the demand). They even got to fire a flintlock blunderbuss! This is what I love about muzzleloaders - they may be archaic, obsolete, fussy, temperamental, messy and a pain to clean, but they are enormous fun to play with and always attract a smiling crowd....
PirateEvent1_zps5c449b46.jpg

Attaboy, Mr. Joolz, nothing like steering young minds to historical and martial activities! :hatsoff: I was introduced to a Springfield 1861 in Mrs. Payne's 5th grade class back when it was still a Constitutional country and life has interesting ever since. :grin: God save the Queen. George B.

EXACTLY SO. = I wish that we had the same situation & SAFE SCHOOLS of my childhood, back when the principal's secretary was "the appointed custodian of firearms" during classes for staff/faculty/students, as we hunted/fished before/after the school day.
(Mrs. Adams & the Superintendent of Schools were the only ones with a key to the firearms closet.)

MUCH of the fall semester of my high school years, she "kept" my 16 gauge Winchester Model 12 pump-gun for me, so that it wouldn't be stolen out of my car.

YES, "the good old days" were BETTER in many ways, including teaching young people about FIREARMS USE & SAFETY.

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back