• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swivel gun recoil--need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greytop, I agree with Wheelock Wohl.

Add a long back leg at a shallow angle from the top of the post to the ground. Put a rod/plate/timber from the lower/back end of that leg to the bottom of the post to make a triangle.

Add a cross piece to the lower/back end of the back leg, maybe two or three feet wide. The leg would be a T.

Attach a piece of angle iron to the bottom back edge of the cross piece so it will dig into the ground.

This way, when you fire the gun, the rearward force will be transferred upward, but at a mechanical disadvantage. The recoil will be trying to lift the gun up on the end of a long T leg. The cross piece will spread the force across more ground so it digs in instead of cutting a groove in the dirt. It also prevents the whole assembly from tipping sideways.

Good luck and have fun!

Interesting solution. I think I'll give it a try and let you know how it works. Thanks

Canute said:
Add a long back leg at a shallow angle from the top of the post to the ground.

Doesn't that relegate the post to merely supporting the weight of the gun?

Set the post into the ground, put the strut half way up and it will take it's share of the recoil :thumbsup:

Nice gun and mount, My 2" gun is mounted on a wheeled carriage, I use only 300 grs of cannon powder and it recoils pretty good, the barrel weight is 120 lbs. I have used as low as 150 grs of powder, I think part of your problem is too much powder, with 500 grs I can hit targets at 600 yards, swivel guns were made for close range use so less powder should work better. just my opinion.

Back