• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swivel breech percussion, MB Williams

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomerdog

32 Cal
Reaction score
I need help, any info will be greatly appreciated. I just picked up this smooth bore over/under percussion gun and can find no info anywhere. The bbls are 40" long and the bores measure about .50 (my cheap digital calipers fritzed out, the manual scale only reads tenths). There is a button on the tang that when pressed, allows the bbls to be rotated either clockwise or counter. The sidelock is marked "M B Williams" as are each bbl. No other markings are visible.

I have a listing in a gunmakers list of an M.B. William's who worked in Hornellsville, NY. (no other information).

The back action lock would suggest that gun was build not much earlier than about 1850.

Thanks for the leads so far guys, I've been all over the internet this morning. If all else fails, I may contact a local historical society to see if there's any info about the maker. I see Hornellsville has a town historian listed, probably my best bet.

I bought this gun just because it spoke to me, you all know how that goes. It is by far the oldest arm I own and my plans are to merely preserve it and enjoy it's uniqueness. I'll blow some compressed air through the nipples and give the bores a few swabs of Ballistol. Is removing the lock for cleaning/oiling recommended in this case? I'm handling this thing with kid gloves, just so happy to have it!

I've got it pretty clean now but wow... the filth and gunk was almost a varnish on the exterior, like a thin layer of very old cosmoline. Visually, it really doesn't look much different but the grime is gone. The barrels now show a bit more of plum color, the brass isn't quite so grungy and the stock actually has a nice reddish glow with grain and striping. I did disassemble the gun, carefully removing the trigger guard and lock, even separating the barrels from the "receiver"... which only required removing one pin. What an amazing piece of craftsmanship!

The barrels, along with the ramrod ferrules were another story though. The rainbow of colors, brown/orange/black (mostly brown) that dozens, if not hundreds of hand-cut patches brought out of those orifices was astounding. I'll bet I cut up an entire beach towel worth of patches...

I did remove and replace the battered nipples with new, maybe I will shoot it soon.

I like it!
If you wish to talk to a guy who makes them and loves them - call Randy at RG Gunsmithing.

Back