• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Switching Over to Musket Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the supply shortage of percussion caps, particularly #11's, I've switched over several longarms to Musket Caps. I found many Musket Caps in stock and for prices better than the percussion caps. I paid $7.49 per 100 (not including shipping) where #11's are listed as $9.70 per 100 when in stock. Two Tresco nipples were $16.88. I got some other stuff too which off-set the Haz-Mat fee. This is from a well-known, reputable muzzleloading company. I had a set of musket cap nipples so I put them on a Pedersoli shotgun. They work fine without any hammer modification. Since I have several and fire several hundred rounds each year I figured this was a way to make sure I am still up and running this hunting season and maybe next. I have one rifle that currently uses musket caps and two others that also can be switched with a nipple change. So - I guess my shotguns and rifles are .... muskets? Well, they're going to use the caps anyway.

I had one of my rifles setup for musket caps years ago but I wasn't getting reliable ignition so I switched back to the # 11 caps.
At the time, I couldn't figure out the problem but from this forum I learned that if the hammer doesn't hit square on the nipple you'll have problems, which was most likely what was going on.
I do like musket caps, less fiddly, especially in cold weather when deer hunting.

I have musket nipples for all my percussion guns. I have had bad luck with CCI musket caps, not with black powder but with Pyrodex. I bought 500 Schutzen musket caps and they perform much better. But if I am hunting, or the shot is very important, I only trust any cap with “royal black”!

I picked up some Musket caps and nipples a while back. First I cleaned up and converted a suspect-bore Renegade .54 and it shot great with Musket nipples and hefty charges of Pyrodex RS behind Lee REAL bullets. I figure it will make a superb hunting arm I will not be worried about adding any dings too. Following that success I converted my .56 SB Renegade and it too reliably belched smoke and balls set off by the Musket caps.

Ever on the hunt for the next project I installed two Musket nipples in my old CVA SXS 12 bore. I had to adjust the hammers to center up better on the Musket nipples, but honestly I should have already done it for the original #11 nipples. I have only popped a couple of caps on the shotgun but it set them off fine so based on my positive results with the rifles I expect the shotgun to operate fine. And yes, the Musket nipples are much easier to handle with old, stiff fingers.

With the supply shortage of percussion caps, particularly #11's, I've switched over several longarms to Musket Caps. I found many Musket Caps in stock and for prices better than the percussion caps. I paid $7.49 per 100 (not including shipping) where #11's are listed as $9.70 per 100 when in stock. Two Tresco nipples were $16.88. I got some other stuff too which off-set the Haz-Mat fee. This is from a well-known, reputable muzzleloading company. I had a set of musket cap nipples so I put them on a Pedersoli shotgun. They work fine without any hammer modification. Since I have several and fire several hundred rounds each year I figured this was a way to make sure I am still up and running this hunting season and maybe next. I have one rifle that currently uses musket caps and two others that also can be switched with a nipple change. So - I guess my shotguns and rifles are .... muskets? Well, they're going to use the caps anyway.
I hope that the musket caps are not the Re-enactor caps from CCI. Too many stories about poor ignition.

I switched a couple of my rifles over to Musket Cap nipples because of the market shortage of #11 caps. After using them just the other day I'm not sure I will ever go back. Much easier to handle with just your fingers. No need for a capper. Reliable ignition so far. I got the Schuetzen brand for about $70/1000 + tax + shipping. Nipples were only about $8 each. No regrets!

I've run musket caps on my TC Renegade for years. Made the switch mainly due to the point brought up several times already, less fiddly and easier to handle afield.
Currently both of my TCs have #11 nipples on them as I need to pick up a couple of musket nipples. Just haven't gotten around to it yet and I have descent little pile of #11s my wife picked up at an estate auction a few years ago that I can use for the time being. No big deal back then, but right now I'm darn glad she got it for me. The reloading powder scale was the only thing I wanted in that box, the caps and a few other ML accessories were a bonus that I now am really glad I stumbled into. 🙂.

Side note: musket nipple recommendations for TC?

Thanks.

Sorry for the threadjack. Was just wondering. Back when I made the switch the internet wasn't really a thing yet, at least not in terms of being able to easily communicate with so many others with knowledge of the subject.

Back