• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Switching Grip Frames

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an excellent Uberti 1860 Army revolver, and would like to put an 1851 Navy grip frame and grips on it.
If I order a Navy grip frame for it, what are the chances the replacement will match up with the Army screw holes, etc. with minimal fitting and alteration?

Smoothshooter
I have done this with Piettas and CVA's built by Pietta. I have not done it on Uberti's. There may be minor imperfections to deal with. I dont see why Uberti would be any different.
DL

So long as you use a Uberti grip and frame you will have no problem. A Pietta won't fit a Uberti and vice-versa. It's possible you may find a very slight mismatch between the frame and new trigger guard/backstrap, something you might be able to feel with your fingernail but that would only be cosmetic and really not noticeable. It's been so long since I have had the grips off either I can't remember if the Navy uses a different (shorter) mainspring or not. The very early Colt Armys came with a Navy grip.

Back