• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swiss vs Schuetzen 2f and 3f

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunslinger922

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have always used Goex powder in my percussion rifles and pistols. For obvious reason, a change is needed. How does Schuetzen powder compare with Swiss brand? Seems to be a substantial price difference especially when compared to Graf and Sons label which I understand is repackaged Schuetzen

Schuetzen powder is a bit more prone to generate fouling than the Swiss brand. The Graf and Son's powder is WANO which is comparable to Schuetzen just being made to meet a lower price point. Both Schuetzen and WANO will perform as your GOEX powder performed. There may be a slight difference in fouling, but not all that much really. After all, it is better to have a reliable source of black powder and some fouling than to not have powder.

Swiss powder burns cleaner and is more energetic than you will have experienced with GOEX. Some people have experienced better on target accuracy with Swiss.

Personally have only tried one pound 3F Schuetzen and while it worked, found it a lot dirtier than Swiss or Goex. If I used it it my rifles I would have to change my lube or add between shot swabbing.

I've been using the 2F Schuetzen in my Lyman GPR (.50) for some time with no issues. I'm using Schuetzen 3F in my .32 Crockett rifle and have been encountering some fouling issues (but it is a .32). However, recently I discovered that if I use Simple Green in addition to olive oil as patch lube, the fouling seems to pretty much disappear. I haven't yet tested it with just Simple Green alone.

If I could get it, I'd probably pay the extra vig and get Swiss, but the Schuetzen seems fine.

I will use Swiss in my black powder cartridge Schuetzen rifles, but don’t bother with it in muzzleloaders. I personally see no need to … to me you would be doing nothing but throwing good $$$ down the bore, wastelessly & needlessly!

The only exception to that would be if I was shooting in national competitions, say at Friendship.

Comparing Schuetzen to Goex powders, my experience differs than others posted, as I find Schuetzen cleans up in about 1/2 to 2/3rds the time, effort & # of patches needed.

I can also buy it cheaper than Goex, to me that is a WIN - WIN!

At one point, Grafs house brand was Schutzen, it’s only in the past two years or so that they switched it to Goex. I didn’t notice the brand change, didn’t read the fine print, until some time later. I still have both manufactures in Grafs cans in my stash.
In my revolvers I can’t say there is a difference, perhaps if I crony graphed a few charges between the two, I might. But in accuracy, nada, and dirty is dirty.
Long guns, I’ll yield to the shooters of those.

Swiss is hands down the best, especially for competition purposes. As for cost, well, Swiss takes an average of about 10% less powder to generate the same velocity but with far less fouling. If you amortize that 10% less powder to achieve the same results, cost isn't that much different.

I just bought Graf label powder both FF and FFF, how does it compare to other brands? Also I heard a company bought GOEX so hopefully they will start producing powder again.

Truthfully? There ain't no such thing as a clean black powder. If a difference is noted, or even not noted, it's more a factor of patch thickness, lube and loading method than type of powder.

I will use Swiss in my black powder cartridge Schuetzen rifles, but don’t bother with it in muzzleloaders. I personally see no need to … to me you would be doing nothing but throwing good $$$ down the bore, wastelessly & needlessly!

The only exception to that would be if I was shooting in national competitions, say at Friendship.

Comparing Schuetzen to Goex powders, my experience differs than others posted, as I find Schuetzen cleans up in about 1/2 to 2/3rds the time, effort & # of patches needed.

I can also buy it cheaper than Goex, to me that is a WIN - WIN!
I have to agree ive been shooting with shuetzen last 2 years with great results! It definitely isnt a ls dirty as goex ive seen an improvement in my groups as well as less fouling in barrel good stuff! And when Goex is back and running itll be a tough decision to go back!

I was lucky enough to find some powder last week. While I got their last lb of goes they had Swiss in 1-1/2f. I've never seen or heard about that large a grain in rifles. I figured cannon or thunder mug use. Can you get consistent performance with it in a GPR or Hawken?

Back