• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss vs Schuetzen 2f and 3f

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that Schuetzen 3F is too volitile. Cannot get a good group (Or even the paper for that matter) even when trying different grain loads and minie's. Never had a problem with this using GOEX. Also, It fouls more. My cocnclusion is Schuetzen works better with higher pressure in breech. Not too good in lower pressure like when using Minie's or smoothbore.

I found that Schuetzen 3F is too volitile. Cannot get a good group (Or even the paper for that matter) even when trying different grain loads and minie's. Never had a problem with this using GOEX. Also, It fouls more. My cocnclusion is Schuetzen works better with higher pressure in breech. Not too good in lower pressure like when using Minie's or smoothbore.
What are you shooting? I find that very odd i compete all year long with both Shuetzen and Swiss and from my experience Swiss is alot more volitile then the Shuezten funny i had opposite affects as you.Ill have to do some testing out of my TC smoothbore to see how it works. My trade gun Loves Swiss! Shuezten not so much!

I just bought Graf label powder both FF and FFF, how does it compare to other brands? Also I heard a company bought GOEX so hopefully they will start producing powder again.
Presently the Graf's branded black powder is Scheutzen. They buy powder in bulk and repackage the powder order the Graf's label. Expext the Graf's powder to perform the same as Scheutzen powder.

I have used Graff and Scheutzen 3f in my GPR 54 percussion for the last 5 years. I can't see any difference. It cleans up easy . I thought about buying some Swiss to try but I decided for my simple needs of hunting and beer can busting it is not worth it. I have one can of 3f Goex I have never tried but next time out I'll burn some just to see.

Just my findings n yours may vary. Goex was the slowest in velocity vs. Schuetzen/Graf & Swiss. Swiss is the fastest. I prefer the Swiss, but i had bought 6 lbs. of Graf's cause i was about out of powder. Schuetzen/Graf's is a good budget powder. I will get more Swiss soon as my samolians build up to order 6-10 lbs.

I was lucky enough to find some powder last week. While I got their last lb of goes they had Swiss in 1-1/2f. I've never seen or heard about that large a grain in rifles. I figured cannon or thunder mug use. Can you get consistent performance with it in a GPR or Hawken?
! !/2 F is used for long range by me and others ,80+ grains under 500+grain bullets =less recoil/more of a push/Ed

Swiss is long known as the cleanest most consistent of the powders. But also the most expensive. Is it worth the cost difference?Many bench shooters believe it is, myself I can't shoot well enough to notice the difference.
I bought 4 lbs. of 2F from Graf last month, their house brand, and it’s labeled made in Germany by Schuetzen. It’s a nice powder. Both my .50s like it although they like Goex, my preferred powder. I’m down to a pound of it. I swab between range shots so buildup isn’t a big deal — just part of the process of trying to hit the red consistently. I did really like Olde Eynsford.

Last edited:
What are you shooting? I find that very odd i compete all year long with both Shuetzen and Swiss and from my experience Swiss is alot more volitile then the Shuezten funny i had opposite affects as you.Ill have to do some testing out of my TC smoothbore to see how it works. My trade gun Loves Swiss! Shuezten not so much!
I shot in N-SSA for 30 years with GOEX and always got a tight group. With Schuetzen? Horrible. 40 Gr. behind hodgdon or wadcutter in Springfield.

I shot in N-SSA for 30 years with GOEX and always got a tight group. With Schuetzen? Horrible. 40 Gr. behind hodgdon or wadcutter in Springfield.
I currently shoot N-SSA and have great results with Scheutzen.

3Band Euroarms Enfield- offhand
IMG_20190803_121122.jpg

Nice group. Windage is good too. Maybe the crown on my barrel took a hit? IDK. I have to inspect things further.
My Parker Hale shoots better so it's first choice for the musket match.

Latest posts

Back