• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

swiss vs goex data

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is there published data for swiss and goex for PRB? I shoot a 40 cal. flintlock and swiss 3f is what I use because its what I have. I am getting best groups with 40gr. .395 RB and .018 pillow ticking. I have went up to 55gr. but groups open up a bit. just curious if there is any published data on different powder and calibers,,,,,,,,,,,

Don't know about published data, but that same load gives 1725fps with Swiss, and 1695fps with Goex. Swiss 3f does start to distance itself from Goex at about 50 grains though.

For what it's worth- with a .395 RB, .019 pillow ticking (20-1 Ballistol lube) and 80 grains of Swiss gives 2,254 fps, with Old Eynsford being nearly identical. It's not a particularly fun to shoot load though- and Swiss gives an awful tough fouling ring near the breech.

60 grains of Swiss gives just under 2,000fps in my .40 (Colerain A weight)

Not that you asked, but i don't think Swiss 3f is a good choice when you want to do a lot of continuous shooting without wiping between shots.

I get close to 1700 fps with 40 grains of Goex 3F which is about what AlanG posted. Interestingly, however, 60 grains of Goex 3F gives 2145 fps in my rifle. I'd guess much of the difference would be caused by the particular patch material and lubes I use.

what gives ya'll the best groups, swiss or goex?

Old Eynsford. But of course you really have to test yourself to see what works in your barrel.

I haven't had much luck with Swiss 3F.
Excellent results with Swiss 2F- it might be the most consistent powder ever, but it's not worth the price difference compared to Old Eynsford to me.

Latest posts

Back