• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss ffg, my new favorite!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had good results with Goex ffg, but got more tar build up than I think I should in a .40 caliber flintlock. Tried some Swiss ffg today and liked the results. Started with a 30 grain (by volume) charge, 3 different ball types and 2 different patch lube ratios.

Almost 60 shots. Very consistent results, the .391 balls worked best this day at this range (25 yards). I know there are many shooters that can get clover leaf groups at 25 yards, I used to be one of them, eyes are not as good as they used to be!

21617CFF-BD61-4E34-B07C-9486AC58C950.jpeg

Swiss costs more than I'm willing to pay for powder. But I do have maybe half a pound of 3F that works really great in my .32. I guess I could convince myself to add a pound of Swiss 3F in the next order I place.

Comparing Swiss fffg to Goex ffg is apples to oranges. Title says one thing, targets are labeled otherwise, so what's the real story?

I use Swiss in everything now with the exception of the fowler. I shoot 50 - 60 grains 3F Swiss in my .40 and the accuracy has been outstanding. I'll wager with some additional experimentation you will cut that group size in half.

Comparing Swiss fffg to Goex ffg is apples to oranges. Title says one thing, targets are labeled otherwise, so what's the real story?

The experience with Goex is prior. Today I shot only Swiss.I found no real difference in accuracy between the two, sorry, I kept no pictures of the Goex targets shot over the past three months. What I did find was easier loading... for what it is worth without pictures, cleanup was easier than my prior experience with Goex.

Swiss costs more than I'm willing to pay for powder. But I do have maybe half a pound of 3F that works really great in my .32. I guess I could convince myself to add a pound of Swiss 3F in the next order I place.

Swiss is more expensive! But then,the gun was more expensive than any other rifle I own. I am using less Swiss compared to Goex, not enough to offset the price though.

I am hoping that larger bores will be happy with Goex than the .40 is.

I use Swiss in everything now with the exception of the fowler. I shoot 50 - 60 grains 3F Swiss in my .40 and the accuracy has been outstanding. I'll wager with some additional experimentation you will cut that group size in half.

I will try a larger charge next, perhaps more this will improve the accuracy. Thanks!

well i am a goex man. i have always found after 5 shots or so with swiss it develops a hard ring 2in from where the ball seats if you do not swab, goex don't. and goex is more accurate than me, coast less and is made in America!
In larger calibers I seat a greased felt wad over the powder and have not experienced the crud ring problem. I used Goex for many years with good success and American made is certainly desirable. However in my .54 Hawken the Swiss gives me 6" less drop at 100 yards compared to the same charge of Goex.

Swiss. Don't like the chocolate. LOVE the powder. Flint lock, side lock percussion (and my unmentionables) get fed nothing else.
I prefer 3f and if my shot to shot deviation get more than 10-15 fps ( actual, not calculated) then I'm getting sloppy.
It is a tad expensive though...

Swiss. Don't like the chocolate. LOVE the powder. Flint lock, side lock percussion (and my unmentionables) get fed nothing else.
I prefer 3f and if my shot to shot deviation get more than 10-15 fps ( actual, not calculated) then I'm getting sloppy.
It is a tad expensive though...
Now if only we could purchase some. My usual sources have been out for weeks.

I like the chocolate and the powder. I've found Swiss 1.5F to work better in my flintlocks than 3F. With 40 or so inch barrels, it has a lot of time to burn. And I have a lot of 1.5F for my unmentionables, so it's convenient.

I also have great success in BP unmentionables using Swiss 1.5F. When I first acquired my Sharps I used Goex Cartridge Grade. When that was discontinued I experimented for over one year with other Goex granulations but could never achieve the previous level of accuracy. Swiss 1.5F has solved that dilemma.

Dunno about you folk, but I've had a bit too much fine Woodford corn liquor to keep track of this thread. The OP said Swiss 2f, but his targets say Swiss 3f. Anyone besides me and excess650 notice that? OP, what are talking about here? 2f is fine for a .40, but was it 2f? Or 3f? Inquiring minds wish to know. Swiss is undoubtedly fine powder but why would we compare pistol/small rifle powder from the top of the line European brand to straight rifle powder from American?

I prefer 3f for all rifle work under .54 caliber, but 2f shoots just fine. Sizes over 3f I'm not sure it matters what brand it is. But then I am often known to be wrong on all counts.

Dunno about you folk, but I've had a bit too much fine Woodford corn liquor to keep track of this thread. The OP said Swiss 2f, but his targets say Swiss 3f. Anyone besides me and excess650 notice that? OP, what are talking about here? 2f is fine for a .40, but was it 2f? Or 3f? Inquiring minds wish to know. Swiss is undoubtedly fine powder but why would we compare pistol/small rifle powder from the top of the line European brand to straight rifle powder from American?

I prefer 3f for all rifle work under .54 caliber, but 2f shoots just fine. Sizes over 3f I'm not sure it matters what brand it is. But then I am often known to be wrong on all counts.

3f is what I used and meant!

My buddy is headed to Friendship, he is a top shooter (Bruce McKelvey) and shoots only Swiss 3F in his bench rifles, he was out and couldn't find any anywhere. Last year he sold me a pound of Swiss 3F to try in my Kibler .32, with a bunch of medical stuff going on I never got around to trying it out. Yesterday I traded him my Swiss 3F for a pound of Goex 3F, uneven trade perhaps but we have been trading stuff back and forth for years, never any money involved.

It's simply the nature of the beast that regardless of brand and granule grade, each barrel picks the one it likes. Swiss works better in some while Goex/etc, works better in others. With powder, there is no one-size-fits-all.

Back