• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swiss 3f first trial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafterob

62 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_3175.jpg

First time trying Swiss 3f in my .45 swamped rice barrel Bob Ray custom rifle. Interestingly to me, I got nearly the same placement with 65g of Goex 3f and Swiss. As I lowered the charge of Swiss I got a higher POI, that seemed counter-intuitive. At 50 it started to drop again and at 45 was basically at the same POI as when I started. The high shot on the 45g target was a haaaaaaang fire. The rifle's load of 65g 3f Goex was originally determined after a good amount of work at the range when this rifle was new. I shot to get the best group with the highest POI using the lowest charge that would achieve those results. Maybe someone can explain to me why a lower load would achieve a higher POI. I will be doing further testing next time at the range.

Could be the barrel residence time at the lower velocity is higher which allows the recoil to move the barrel higher raising the POI. At the lower charges the velocity finally dropped enough that the ball's drop compensated for the barrel rise. Also the recoil is less resulting in less rise.

Only really find this significant in handguns that tend to flip in your hand more easily when fired, say going from a 44 mag to a 44 special load in the same handgun, the slower 44 special slug will hit higher to a certain distance, but I usually do not see it in muzzleloading rifles. Theory is that the slower bullet is in the barrel longer, and by the time it exits the bore, the muzzle has risen higher than it does for the faster bullet. I shoot a lot of reduced loads for practice at shorter distances (25-50 yards) as I have a bum shoulder that acts up a few times a year, and find typically don’t see higher elevation POI with lighter loads. For what it is worth, I have found loads that hit very close to my POA at those shorter distances with my sights set for heavier hunting loads zeroed in usually between 75 and 100 yards or so. Most are very low if I stretch them out 100 yards or so.

Last edited:
Could be the barrel residence time at the lower velocity is higher which allows the recoil to move the barrel higher raising the POI. At the lower charges the velocity finally dropped enough that the ball's drop compensated for the barrel rise. Also the recoil is less resulting in less rise.
^This.

Less wordy- lower powder charge means the bullet is still in the barrel during the recoil rise. Also happens with heavier bullets as well. Counterintuitive, but true.

Very interesting. If I can shoot the 45 grains without adjusting my sights, and be at the same POI as previous. I could save a whole penny a shot.

POI is one thing, but group size rules. Find the tightest grouping load first; sights are meant to be adjusted, filed, drifted, replaced. Good POI without accuracy is worthless if you are shooting to win.

ADK Bigfoot

Back