• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swell belly pot.....painted???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msuspartan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a swell belly cooking pot at a garage sale for $5. I was pretty excited until I got home and realized it had been painted inside. It is peeling a bit but how do I safely clean it without killing me??
BTW, I do not have access to a sandblaster. Thoughts, ideas, cautions etc??
Thank you all.

IF it was my pot, I would turn it upside down in the firebox of the woodstove overnight & burn it out for a minimum of 12 hours. THEN, I would wire brush it out, thoroughly wash it with hot/soapy water & coarse steel wool TWICE & then I would start ever with the seasoning process.

just my OPINION, satx

Get a container large enough to cover the pot completely with water and a can of lye soak it over night in the lye water mix, remove it and scrub it very well rinsing it very good. Re - season and cook what ever you want,my dad deals in old cast iron skillets his remedy they come out looking new.

Yeah. hardware stores sell lead paint testing kits. I think you fill with vinegar or some such thing and toss in the testing paper and if there is lead leaching out the paper turns a certain color.

Back