Swedish Snaplock Musket

Discussion in 'Photos' started by rickystl, May 24, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 24, 2019 #1

rickystl

rickystl

rickystl

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hello All. And happy Memorial weekend.

Well, it's taken 4+ years but the project is finally finished. For those interested in the back story, here is a Link from the Forum:
    https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/swedish-snaplock-from-trs-685.98194/

Gun: 1600 Swedish Snaplock, from TRS Kit # 685.
    Lock: A snaplock with a bit earlier design than the snaphaunce. The pan cover has to be manually moved forward to expose the priming powder, similar to a matchlock. The hammer has a long 3" throw. But for arcane lock enthusiasts it's a hoot. LOL
    Stock: American Walnut. (I know, it should be European walnut, but I wasn't going to haggle with TRS. LOL ) I tend to be partial to dark stock stains.
    Barrel: Colerain .75 cal. octagon to round with a simple wedding band, 46" long. What they call the 1710 Dutch musket profile. Ordered from TOTW with the gunsmithing and sights installed. Used 4 underpins for this big barrel. LOL
    Builder: Jeff Miller

The gun holds/shoulders very similar to a matchlock of the period. Anyway, it will be an interesting addition to my collection and thought you guys would like to see it. Here's some pics and thanks for looking.

Rick 007 (Medium).JPG 008 (Medium).JPG 009 (Medium).JPG 010 (Medium).JPG 011 (Medium).JPG 013 (Medium).JPG 016 (Medium).JPG 017 (Medium).JPG 018 (Medium).JPG 019 (Medium).JPG

2. May 24, 2019 #2

rickystl

rickystl

rickystl

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

One more pic of the muzzle.......... 020 (Medium).JPG

Shot deer, DaveC and ArtyGunner like this.
  3. May 24, 2019 #3

Heelerau

Heelerau

Heelerau

45 Cal.

That is a sterling job, a most interesting piece, a photo or video of you shooting this musket would be a good thing. Congratulations!

DaveC likes this.
  4. Jun 1, 2019 #4

rickystl

rickystl

rickystl

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Hi Heelerau

Thanks for your comment. Yes, it turned out nice. The travel time of the hammer and frizzen are really long, and make a big clang. LOL But it's a neat example of early lock making. Should be fun to shoot.

Rick

Shot deer likes this.
  5. Oct 19, 2019 #5

Trooper61

Trooper61

Trooper61

32 Cal

Awesome piece! I’ve been saving for a matchlock musket from TOTW. Hopefully won’t be too much longer.

DaveC likes this.