• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swedish Snaplock from TRS #685

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. Thought you might like to see what showed up on my doorstep Friday. Since I already owned the lock, I ordered the pre-carved stock and additional parts to complete the gun. TRS said everything was in stock except the barrel. They shipped the stock and other parts in about two weeks. TRS mentioned they now do the pre-carved stocks - in house. So we might be able to assume they can ship the stocks sooner than in the past. (?) I didn't even try to order a barrel from them. I had visions of it taking a year or better to receive it. So, I now have everything except a barrel. :( Hmmm. I took some measurements of the barrel channel in the stock. On page 202 of the TOTW catalog there is a Twigg Fowler barrel that's dimensions seem almost exact to the measurements I get in the barrel channel of the stock. Even down to the 14 1/4" transition from octagon to round. So, I will send everything I have to the Gunsmith and have him take some measurements also. If he agrees, I guess we'll take the chance and order the barrel with the extra gunsmithing work done.
If anyone else has an idea with a barrel, please let me know. Anyway, thanks for looking. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. Rick. :hatsoff:

UPDATE:
Well, a couple of issues have come up. 1) TRS sent me the wrong trigger :( Don't know what the one they sent me goes to. If you look at the above photo you will notice the trigger is curved. The trigger in TRS catalog shows a longer, more straight trigger. So, I have a call and email to them to order the right trigger. I'll eventually get a phone call back and get it resolved.
2) After speaking to TOTW and finally TRS it turns out the barrel channel inlet in the stock was designed around the use of the Colerain 1710 Dutch Musket barrel shown in TOTW catalog. The gunsmith said the measurements are almost identical. So I ordered the barrel from Track with the gunsmithing work, front and rear sights and under lugs installed. Of course, the barrel could be 6 weeks or 6 months to get. :(
So, the whole project is on delay till the barrel arrives. Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Ricky,
Your trigger is the same as those TRS supplies for snaphaunces and early English locks with lateral sears. I believe your Baltic lock has a lateral sear mechanism so the trigger should work with it. It gets pinned above the lock plate. Your builder could easily straighten it if desired or make a new one. Good luck and have fun.

dave

Hi Dave. Yes, that's what we are thinking with the trigger. Should be able to make it work. It's seems like it's always the barrels that hold everything up. :( I ordered another barrel Friday from TOTW for the Spanish rifle build. They said they are expecting it in about 90-days. The operative word here is "expecting". No telling when they will get delivery of that one either. :( But I figure TOTW would be a bigger customer than I am. So they will eventually receive their orders. :haha:
You know, I was told that the custom barrel makers, besides being one or two man shops, are making the barrels using machinery from pre-WW2 - even WW1 !!
Know wonder it takes such a long time.
Thanks for advising about the trigger. The long flat bar tells me it should work. Rick. :hatsoff:

Hi Ricky,
I love your project and hope you can get going soon. Our modern barrel makers probably are using lathe technologies that have been around for a long time but the market is so small and it would require much more demand to justify the cost of introducing more sophisticated technology from what they inherited from the previous barrel makers (Paris, Sharon, Bill Large, etc). They are also all very small shops. We just have to be patient and appreciate the fact that we don't have to forge the barrels ourselves and have access to great quality stuff. Take care Ricky and thank you for sharing your neat projects.

dave

ricky said:

So I ordered the barrel from Track with the gunsmithing work, front and rear sights and under lugs installed. Of course, the barrel could be 6 weeks or 6 months to get. :(
So, the whole project is on delay till the barrel arrives. Rick. :hatsoff:

Just a suggestion, it might have been faster and less expensive to order the barrel from Colerain. They are pretty quick and do a good job, everything I have received from them was well done and was made to TRS specs.

With exception to the fact that 50% of their barrels have a gap at the bore/breechplug fit. :idunno:

Keith Lisle

Im planning to build one of these for my own, but thats for the future atm.

BUMP!! UPDATE:
Hello all. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I'm so full of turkey and deer sausage I won't have to eat for a week. :haha:
Well, it's now been 8 months and I'm still waiting for that 1710 Dutch Fowler barrel :( I called TOTW and they told me they are expecting it soon. They originally ordered 10 of these barrels, with 3-4 of them already sold including mine. So if anyone else might be interested in this style barrel, now would probably be a good time to order it. Just a heads-up.
In this case I'm hoping "soon" may be right. At the same time I ordered this barrel, I ordered another Coleraine barrel for the Spanish rifle build, which I received a couple weeks ago with the extra gunsmithing work done. (Took 7 months) They did a good job.
So I'm hoping that Dutch barrel is right around the corner.
Rick. :hatsoff:

BUMP!! BUMP!! SECOND UPDATE:

Look what showed up on my doorstep yesterday, Saturday, 10/08/16. The 1710 Dutch Fowler barrel finally showed up from TOTW !!!! With the extra gunsmithing work done. YAY!!! Now we can do the build.
Guys: It took 20 MONTHS to receive this barrel from Colerain. TOTW said they ordered 10 of these barrels, with 4 already sold, including mine. So there may be 6 left, and there Web-Site shows this barrel "in stock". (Also the 1st Model Brown Bess barrel shows in stock JFYI). So if anyone is contemplating a future build, I would order this barrel right away. Just a heads-up.

Rick

Back