• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swedish? Doglock Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lincolnsreg

32 Cal
Reaction score
Evening all. This has the stock and fittings of a late 18th century Scandinavian musket. It has a distinct 'banana' slope lock with one screw behind the cock, suggesting pre c.1770-80, though might be reused. Oddest thing is no sign of ever having rod pipes or bands as would be expected. All that keeps the rod in place is the tapered thickness of the rod as it enters the stock and the sling swivel. The cock and hammer are replacements. Of all places, it was found hidden up the chimney of an old cottage in Dorset - how it got there is a mystery. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200716_201517.jpg
    20200716_201517.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 20200716_201545.jpg
    20200716_201545.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200716_183152.jpg
    20200716_183152.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 20200716_201636.jpg
    20200716_201636.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200716_201608.jpg
    20200716_201608.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 20200716_201557.jpg
    20200716_201557.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 185
Hi,
I think you are right that it is Swedish. I think it is a Swedish model 1791 which reverted to a flat cock and lock plate. Is the side plate an "L" shape and made of brass?

dave

Hi,
I think you are right that it is Swedish. I think it is a Swedish model 1791 which reverted to a flat cock and lock plate. Is the side plate an "L" shape and made of brass?

dave

Hi Dave - it is brass and L-shaped. With marks - shame these haven't been researched (as far as I can find in English) as well as English marks. Did these retain the earlier style banana lock with long frizzen spring? The lack of bands is unusual - no sign they were ever on. Cheers

Hi Dave - it is brass and L-shaped. With marks - shame these haven't been researched (as far as I can find in English) as well as English marks. Did these retain the earlier style banana lock with long frizzen spring? The lack of bands is unusual - no sign they were ever on. Cheers
Sear spring sorry

Swedish muskets generally have an H & the date. But I think its earlier ,are there pins to secure the stock? .Norway & Denmark (Once the same King ) have pins but have ramrod pipes as well hence I thought bands now missing . The huge but plate screws should aid pinning it down I do have a booklet on Danish put out by the Toyhusmuseet Museum however its spelt I'le have a look see .
Regards Rudyard

How I wish these guns could talk to us, or even give us a clue about how they ended up where they did. Like the single-digit serial number Colt Paterson, cased with every accessory and unfired that turned up in a house in the North of England a few years back. Makes you wonder, eh?

And THIS one, as well. from the UK antiques road show of 2018 -

Gun bought for £150 valued at £150,000 at Black Country Antiques Roadshow
By Steven Jones | Dudley | Dudley entertainment | Published: May 22, 2018
A vintage gun was given an eye-watering £150,000 valuation when the Antiques Roadshow visited the region.

RAGQGCSCNNEONGUVHRM36DMJTI.jpg

TV antiques firearms expert Bill Harriman estimated the ‘iconic’ Colt 37 revolver to now be worth around £150,000
The pistol, which was made by American inventor Sam Colt in Paterson, New Jersey, was purchased for just £150 by its owner 40 years ago.
However, in the latest episode of the BBC show antiques expert Bill Harriman estimated the revolver to now be worth around £150,000.
The programme was filmed at the Black Country Living Museum and aired on Sunday evening.
ZMCS4XXNE5GPLLU5R4BGMR5D7U.jpg
The iconic gun is believed to have been made in 1837
The ‘iconic’ revolver, which is believed to have been made in 1837, was described by Mr Harriman as ‘the most important firearm I’ve ever seen on the Roadshow in 31 years’.
He joked it was more suited ‘to the Wild West than the West Midlands’.
The design for the five-shot revolver – one of the first to fire multiple bullets – was patented in 1836 and production was estimated to have begun a year later. Mr Harriman estimated that this particular model was one of the first in the series to be made when production started. He said: “It’s one of the most iconic firearms ever. “It’s one of the most important ever made in the development and the history of firearms.” The show was filmed at the museum in June.
Producers captured enough footage on the day to make two episodes, with the first one airing in April.
Mr Harriman continued: “I think that this was the death knell of the Native Americans.
“They just could not deal with troops

sent against them who had so much fire power.
He added: “When they were faced with that relentless volley of lead they stood no chance.”
A spokesperson for the museum said: “It was a really good day and atmosphere. The weather was fantastic.
“A lot of people the came had never been here before, so for us it was a really good way to boost awareness of the museum.”
More than 2,000 people attended the roadshow when it visited the museum last year.

Back