• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swapping out front sight in a full stock ML ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone done this without removing the barrel from the stock?
I would have no problem changing out the rear sight with the barrel in the stock. It's much meatier back there.
But the front it seems I could be opening myself up to problems... maybe not with the brass muzzle cap.

?

Lay rifle on its side on a table for full length support. (Maybe on a towel so it doesn't slide around). Get drift punch and hammer, tap it out. I've done it at the range on the firing bench without any issues.

Lay rifle on its side on a table for full length support. (Maybe on a towel so it doesn't slide around). Get drift punch and hammer, tap it out
Yes, but look carefully at dovetail first. Some are slightly tapered allowing the sights to be moved out on only one side. Not all, but some. If you can find a suitable hunk of brass for the drift that is more better than using an old screwdriver or similar.

I've drifted them myself on the bench.
I suppose it's no different fitting a new sight. As long as it fits correctly.
Just needed someone to confirm it. Thanks.

I have a brass rod that I used in the past for tapping a sight out of a barrel dovetail. If you don't have that, a long brass bolt from the hardware store and take off the threads. The brass protects the steel of the barrel because the brass is softer, but plenty tough for tapping sights in and out.

I'm sorry. I guess I needed to include more information in my OP.

I was not asking HOW you drift a sight. I have several drifts I use, depending on the job; brass, delrin, aluminum...
I was asking about FITTING a new front sight to a gun with a full stock.

More information: I have always done this on my bench, where I can clamp onto the barrel itself. And for me anyway, there has always been quite a bit of back and forth with removing material from the sight and then tapping it into the dovetail notch until you get that perfect fit. But I have never done this with a gun whose stock runs out the muzzle.

So I was wondering about clamping onto the end of a ML with a full stock. Or for that matter, a Mannlicher stock.

Disclaimer: by clamping I mean gently closing the soft jawed vise.

So from what I gather I should lay the gun down onto a sandbag and fit the front sight as if I was drifting it at the range. Which I'm taking to mean do not use a vise.

That's what I'll end up doing. I think it will be easier (because it's what I'm used to) in the long run.
It's only one screw and one pin. Although I did read here to remove those pins as little as possible.

Has anyone done this without removing the barrel from the stock?
I would have no problem changing out the rear sight with the barrel in the stock. It's much meatier back there.
But the front it seems I could be opening myself up to problems... maybe not with the brass muzzle cap.

?
To me it really depends on the fit of the sight. If you can pad the stock against a solid bench with the barrel in, and give it a gentle tap, then I would go that way. If the sight has a stiff/tight fit, I would not risk damage to the stock. I would then remove the barrel and place it in a padded vice.
Larry

Back