• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swapping dual trigger for single hunting type on T/C Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
These are probably a dumb questions to raise but is it possible to swap a dual trigger/trigger guard on a .54 T/C Renegade for the single Hunter type? I understand there would be an exposed area where the rear part of the dual trigger guard.
Do the holes for the dual trigger assembly and front of the trigger guard line up with the single Hunter type?
Would the lock have to be replaced with one that was compatible with the single trigger assembly? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.

Here is a picture of the conversion trigger. Pretty much looked like someone removed the rear trigger.. Never owned one so I'm not sure if they are any good.

I believe some folks have upgraded the set triggers with L&R and Davis.

I personally purchased a single trigger stock with all hardware and used it. Your lock and barrel would interchange. Sell your old stock with set trigger or possibly put in a request to trade here on the forum. Just a thought.

Thompson-Center-Hawken-Single-Trigger-Conversion-T-C-Renegade.jpg

Yes I have used the dual trigger without setting it. It acts like a two stage Mauser or Springfield type. I don’t mind the dual set trigger… especially for target shooting. I happened to look at the underside of my T/C New Englander and Renegade and just was wondering…

Hello,
These are probably a dumb questions to raise but is it possible to swap a dual trigger/trigger guard on a .54 T/C Renegade for the single Hunter type? I understand there would be an exposed area where the rear part of the dual trigger guard.
Do the holes for the dual trigger assembly and front of the trigger guard line up with the single Hunter type?
Would the lock have to be replaced with one that was compatible with the single trigger assembly? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.
I have a TC single trigger for Hawken/Renegade. Never used. I prefer the double set trigger. The lock and trigger guard are the same.

You can likely make it work relatively easy. But it'll always look like a kitchen table hatchet job. And if you look at thesingle trigger conversion Wyatt showed, it's just the standard trigger bar with the rear trigger removed. You could do that to your existing triggers for free. And TC single triggers if you don't get the geometry just right are notoriously hard to make a decent trigger pull on them. If you just have to have a single trigger I'd do as suggested & either trade for or buy a single trigger stock.

You can likely make it work relatively easy. But it'll always look like a kitchen table hatchet job. And if you look at thesingle trigger conversion Wyatt showed, it's just the standard trigger bar with the rear trigger removed. You could do that to your existing triggers for free.

He right, an just layin it out simple for ya.
The biggest change is the trigger guard and it's in-letting,,
The dual and single triggers will swap out with just minor adjustments to the trigger plate level to accommodate the the individual factory stock make,,
but T/C did maintain the basic trigger base needed with their in-letting. It's easy to see what and where changes need to be done when doing a swap.
The cosmetic change was the trigger guard in-letting to the stock to allow more room for the finger in front of the single trigger in those models.
The "kitchen table" part of the job is filling in the voids left when changing the guard.

but is it possible to swap a dual trigger/trigger guard on a .54 T/C Renegade for the single Hunter type?
So as others have said, Why? If you have doubles,, they will already do that a single trigger does,, and some,

Last edited:
I put a single trigger conversion in my Renegade after touching the set trigger with my cold numb finger one too many times, getting a negligent discharge and scaring away a deer.

At the time I knew little about set triggers and never thought of adjusting the triggers as to take the set trigger out of action and only using the front trigger.

Here is a picture of the conversion trigger. Pretty much looked like someone removed the rear trigger.. Never owned one so I'm not sure if they are any good.

I believe some folks have upgraded the set triggers with L&R and Davis.

I personally purchased a single trigger stock with all hardware and used it. Your lock and barrel would interchange. Sell your old stock with set trigger or possibly put in a request to trade here on the forum. Just a thought.

View attachment 107685

As you can plainly see, the so-called "conversion" is simply the EXACT same trigger bar you already have with the rear trigger removed. drive out one little pin and you'll have the EXACT same thing for free.

As you can plainly see, the so-called "conversion" is simply the EXACT same trigger bar you already have with the rear trigger removed. drive out one little pin and you'll have the EXACT same thing for free.

So removing the pin to the rear trigger and removing it is basically the same as the “conversion” kit? Does the small screw still provide any adjustment?

So removing the pin to the rear trigger and removing it is basically the same as the “conversion” kit?
Yes, that's a fact. You'd also remove the leaf spring and the small adjustment screw for a complete clone of the single trigger conversion.

Does the small screw still provide any adjustment?
No, That screw adjusts the amount of engagement the front trigger has with the spring loaded rear trigger. With the rear trigger and leaf spring gone, that screw does nothing but fill the threaded hole it's in. Sure, adjusting it will raise or lower the front trigger bar a tiny bit but with nothing to engage it will do nothing change the use of the front trigger.

Just a suggestion, but it might help if you remove the triggers from your rifle and observe how they function in plain view while in your hands. Watch how that little shelf at the back of the front trigger bar engages the rear trigger when set.

No, That screw adjusts the amount of engagement the front trigger has with the spring loaded rear trigger. With the rear trigger and leaf spring gone, that screw does nothing but fill the thread hole it's in. Sure, adjusting it will raise or lower the front trigger bar a tiny bit but with nothing to engage it will do nothing change the use of the front trigger.

I understand… I tried the front trigger alone, it acts like a two stage and breaks at about 6-61/2 lbs.

Back