• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped vs straight barrel on .40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again and thank you all for your replies! You all have been really helpful! Im a member of some other firearms forums and I have to say you black powder guys are way more welcoming and informative! I just placed my order! I attached a picture of the details, I went with the straight barrel. I can’t wait for it to get here now 😁 what are the wait times like at tvm? Thanks again!

How tall are you?

I think a 15" length of pull is crazy long. The longer the LOP, the heavier the barrel will seem.

If you aren't 7 feet 5 inches tall, you'll be happier with 13.5 or so LOP or so.

My favorite muzzle loader for offhand shooting had a 50 caliber "straight taper" barrel. Not straight and not swamped, but a uniform taper the entire length to the muzzle. Unbelievable balance and light weight. I'd say, worth the $$$ if that is an option.

Been building & competing since 1974. Swamped is by far best, esp for flinters. Straight taper second, mostly for newer (percussion) halfstock guns. Straight is out of the question for me, 'cept maybe rested heavy barrel target guns.

I’m 6ft but I asked for clarification on how to measure length of pull and they sent me this picture so I tried to replicate it, I online I do struggle to find guns long enough

Attachments

• DA34F49C-A24B-47C7-9C1B-73CDED4F9AC7.png
    DA34F49C-A24B-47C7-9C1B-73CDED4F9AC7.png
    374.2 KB · Views: 79
Any advice you guys can give me on length of pull would be much appreciated! I think I can still make at least one change to my order

As I posted previously, my .40 X 38" X "B" wgt rifle weighs over 8 lbs. But since the barrel is swamped it handles beautifully. The .45 is 36" X 13/16" comes in at 7 lbs; in a .40 it would be a little muzzle heavy with the straight tube. And at 5'5" I'm most comfortable with a 12.5" lop. TVM will work with you as they want you as a pleased customer.

I ordered my TVM on Feb 24, 2020, and was told 6 months wait time which I was perfectly fine with. Covid hit, and I knew it would be kicked back. Melanie at TVM ( a very fun & sassy lady) always kept me updated with potential delays. I received my TVM Late Lancaster .40 cal on 9/20/2020. I am completely happy with this gun, and the service provided by TVM. My next gun will be a Iron Pennsylvania in .54 from TVM. (Trying to sell some guns for financing this project)

Melanie is a total hoot to deal with.

I am 6 foot, 200lbs, average arm length. The length of pull on my TVM is 13.75, and it is perfect for me.

I have both a straight octagon barrelled longrifle (Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle) that has a 40¾" long barrel and an Early Lancaster rifle with a 44½" long swamped barrel. The Traditions with the straight barrel is 2-lbs heavier than my longer rifle with the swamped barrel. The swamp on the barrel changes the balance point of the rifle so that it is right where you grip the rifle with your forward hand. It's not trying to tip the front of your hand down, it's very nicely balanced there.

The Traditions straight-barrelled rifle, like all straight or straight-tapered longrifle barrel is very nose heavy. Because of the swamped barrel, my Early Lancaster is not. It's very easy very easy to carry while hunting very easy to mount, and very easy to hold on target. I really need a tree limb to rest the front of my Traditions rifle on when hunting, whereas I'm not at all averse to firing my Early Lancaster rifle with the swamped barrel offhand.

It's typically about and extra $100-$150 for the swamped barrel as well as an extra $100 to $300 for nicer looking wood. If you use your rifle or hunt with or just use for target practice at all, your $$ is much better spent getting the swamped barrel. If you are just going to get it and hang it on the wall...get the upgraded, prettier wood.

The only time I would choose a straight barrel over a swamped would be for a dedicated chunk or benchrest target gun where I don't have to shoulder it.

The only time I would choose a straight barrel over a swamped would be for a dedicated chunk or benchrest target gun where I don't have to shoulder it.

I tend to agree, except for the small caliber 38” or so SMR type. 3/4” barrels bored to .36-.40 might be too light tapered and flared and are magical straight.

I just ordered the same rifle today, only in .54 caliber. Like you (and Hamlet) I struggled to come to grips with Shakespeare's (paraphrased) words "to spend $350, or not to spend $350: that is the question!"

In the end, I spent it! Actually, it was not a hard decision, because I've yet to converse, either online or in person, with anyone who is sorry they got a swamped barrel, but I have heard from several who are sorry that they didn't get a swamped barrel. The fact that mine is a .54 caliber made the decision easier. Let's face it, the rifle you and I ordered is pretty much an inletted railroad cross tie. Anything we can do to lighten it, or to make it balance well, is a plus.

I also sprung for upgraded wood, a Siler lock (over the standard trade lock), and a double-set trigger.

It may be a what they called a "Barn Rifle," but it will at least be a nice barn rifle!.

Latest posts

Back