• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped vs straight barrel on .40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe a personal preference but to me it's more than that. I have both kinds from a 32 cal to36, 50's and a 58. Straight barrels generally are heavier but not necessarily by a lot and if one is young and strong and has a steady had it may not matter. To me a swamped barreled rifle is more visually appealing. As I circulate amongst BP shooters I cannot recall every hearing someone say, "No thanks, I want a straight barrel". I could have just sold my 58 EXCEPT it is a straight barrel. And of course it also depends on the use. Shooting paper off a bench and it probably does not matter but all things considered I would go for the swamped barrel. Now, maybe it's just because I'm old and weak but EVERY straight barreled rifle feels muzzle heavy. No big deal at 30 but may not be the case at 75

Many years ago I had Jerry Cunningham of Orion Barrel Works make me a 40" straight taper .36 caliber round ball barrel that I made into a Lancaster style rifle and it is the most sweetest handling and shooting rifle that I have :thumb: :ghostly:.

Hey everyone this is my first post, I’m in the process of ordering my first muzzle loading firearm from Tennessee valley muzzleloaders, I’ve settled on the Natchez poor boy in .40, 36 inch barrel, but am undecided on if the swamped barrel is worth the extra $$ I don’t have a lot of cash but if it’s a huge difference then I might dig deep in my pocks haha. Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!
It is called a POOR BOY. Not many poor boys had such extras. That's why they called them poor boys. Sorta like putting a diamond collar on a junkyard dog.

I find a 3/4” x 38” ish straight .40 or .36 to be light as a feather with just enough weight out there to keep sway to a minimum. 13/16” would be similar but heavier so I’d keep it as short as possible. I just ordered a 5/8” x 38” x .29 cal. Can’t wait.

I should mention that while the actual weight difference between swamped and straight barrels isn't much, they are two entirely different animals. I have three rifles with swamped barrels all are 38" and not one of them has any muzzle heaviness. My .45 X 13/16"X 36" straight bbl rifle has a weighty feeling toward the muzzle as does my .36 X 3/4" X 38" SMR. None are heavy and still handle so very nicely. My .50 X "B" wgt X 38" rifle has NO trace of muzzle weight and feels like a flyweight rifle. My .40 X "B" wgt X 38" has a discontinued Green Mountain tube and weighs a bit over 8 lbs. Yet it has no muzzle heaviness and settles in the arms like a pet. The difference in feel is fairly major and a swamped tube will make the nicest hunting rifle you'll get. But cost is more. So if you want the least costly option that still shoulders nicely, a shorter, 36" straight barrel of 13/16" would still do fine.

I find a 3/4” x 38” ish straight .40 or .36 to be light as a feather with just enough weight out there to keep sway to a minimum. 13/16” would be similar but heavier so I’d keep it as short as possible. I just ordered a 5/8” x 38” x .29 cal. Can’t wait.

This is absolutely to be expected with such barrels and an excellent choice for a straight tube rifle.

I own a TVM .40 Late Lancaster with a swamped barrel. While I cannot compare it to a straight barrel on a similar gun, I can say it is a dream to shoot. Very light, and balances extremely well. To me, probably worth the extra cash for the swamped option....

Hello again and thank you all for your replies! You all have been really helpful! Im a member of some other firearms forums and I have to say you black powder guys are way more welcoming and informative! I just placed my order! I attached a picture of the details, I went with the straight barrel. I can’t wait for it to get here now 😁 what are the wait times like at tvm? Thanks again!

Attachments

• 8FF6118F-5C73-4B04-9B92-C7C0C6BCB5AB.png
    8FF6118F-5C73-4B04-9B92-C7C0C6BCB5AB.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 99
mine is a 3/4 cross the flats straight barrel 42in. it balances on the hand at the entry thimble. it is fine, the trick is to have the smallest barrel for less weight. 3/4 is the smallest straight barrel you can get with a 40cal. it weighs a tad over 6 lbs. but a swamped would still be better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
My favorite over all small game and practice rifle is a .40 cal. 13/16 by 38" str. oct. Colerain . The stock wood is a derelict piece of black walnut found at a back woods sawmill. The wood you choose for a project can save 3/4 lb. + , in the total weight of a rifle.. Talking wood , hard is heavy. Curly white or red maple are physically lighter than hard sugar maple. All are plenty stable and strong. Walnut and cherry , depending on the figure , can be very good stock wood. The heavier choices would be ash and elm, In early times , any hard wood species might be used for a utilitarian rifle. .......oldwood

My 36 caliber Southern Mountain Rifle is a straight barreled 32" long 13/16" barrel. It is a delight to handle offhand. It is capable of excellent accuracy. I have shot 25 yard groups that can be covered by a quarter.

I'm a year into shooting my 13/16" Tennessee Poor Boy from Tennessee Valley Manufacturing in .40, and I like it ok, though I'd love it more if it were swamped. The way I see it, it's extra money, but worth it in the long run, if you build it exactly the way you want it.

Get ahold of some swamped guns. Play with them. In fact, don't even think about building a gun yourself until you've held a few original or contemporary guns. You'll get a solid idea of what "right" looks like, for you.

What would you think about a “ B “ weight 38” barrel in a .40? Too heavy?

i am honestly not sure what a "B" weight would be like in that configuration as i have never owned or shot one. sorry i am no help there.

the 3/4" straight barrels from Rice in .40 7 .36 are very nice, a friend of mine has built several with those barrels in SMR rifles and they all balanced very well. he prefers a light rifle like me for target shooting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back