• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamped/Tapered and Flared

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know a history of when barrels began to be swamped? I've not seen anything about the history of it. I know the reasons they would have been devised, but not the when or who. I love a swamped barrel. Straights are fine but man, I love the dandy pointing quality of that swamp thang!

I read somewhere the author hypothesized that swamped barrels were the natural result of the flat filing process as more pressure tended to be exerted as the file was moved from the ends towards the middle. Seems probable to me that this may have occurred and then been recognized as beneficial over a straight barrel for the resulting balance.

Actually, they came about in the 1600’s , as a barrel maker made a barrel too short. He grabbed one end, the apprentice the other, and they pulled so hard it stretched the barrel, but like pulling taffy, it was smaller in the middle. It was an instant hit . Now I have some Missouri beachfront properties I’d like to sell........

Anyone know a history of when barrels began to be swamped?
It was described in detail, with measurements, in the Portuguese book Espingarda Perfeyta [The Perfect Gun] written in 1718. Here's a gauge for five diameters of the barrel at various stations from that book:
Perfeyta gauge.jpg

I've never seen anything about who invented it or when it was first done.

Spence

Anyone know a history of when barrels began to be swamped? I've not seen anything about the history of it. I know the reasons they would have been devised, but not the when or who. I love a swamped barrel. Straights are fine but man, I love the dandy pointing quality of that swamp thang!
The Moravians who emigrated from Germany and primarily settled in Pennsylvania had made Jaeger rifles in Germany which had swamped barrels. So it was nothing new to them and they'd been making them since at least the early 1600's. These were the gunsmiths who really were the driving force in the development of the American longrifle as it transitioned from the shorter, fatter, heavier caliber (typically ~.62 cal.) Jaeger rifles into the graceful long, lighter, and smaller caliber (usually in the 50's). Smaller caliber not only meant less lead needed, but also less powder used.

All the rifles (that I am aware of anyhow) from the 18th century had swamped barrels and typically had very low front sights. Whether the original intent was to make a nicely balanced rifle or just to make sure the front sights could easily be seen, I don't know. The actual straight barrel or straight tapered barrel didn't become the norm until Remington developed the method to deep drill barrels in the 1840's. I have both a Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifle with a straight tapered barrel (my first longrifle) and an Early Lancaster rifle with a swamped barrel 4" longer than the Traditions. That Early Lancaster with the 44½" barrel is a little over 2-lbs lighter than the Traditions straight barrelled rifle. The Early Lancaster rifle is so much easier to carry, mount, and hold on target that it's not even funny.

I'm sure if you take a trip to Williamsburg, VA and talk to the gunsmiths in Colonial Williamsburg they will have lots of info as they still make longrifles by hammer forge-welding wrought-iron using the same tools and methods as those in the 18th century. I spent an afternoon there many years ago while one of their gunsmiths was hammer forge-welding a barrel. You quickly get an appreciation for just how much labor went into making a single rifle then, and why the price of it was usually as much as a longhunter's annual income. His rifling machine was primarily made of wood and was huge - a wonder to behold! It's impressive work as everything except the lock was usually made by the gunsmith.

Latest posts

Back