• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"SWAMPED" BARRELS??? Intended or poor workmanship?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd945043

40 Cal
Reaction score
Okay I have a question about something that I see on almost every original rifle and that's the swamped barrel. If this is just poor workmanship then why do we see it almost across the board from every Rifle Smith in the Colonies

Last week in a thread about octagon to round barrel rifles one person said that it was totally unintentionally done because draw fiiling an true Octagon barrel was messed up and that's why we see swamped barrels

I agree but in the thread last week about octagon rifles and round barrel rifles I was told that the swamped barrel was failure of the gunsmith to draw file the barrel properly. In fact the person replying to me said that swamped barrels were no more than poor workmanship but sense the rifles exist with swamped barrels we are only following their imperfections

I agree but in the thread last week about octagon rifles and round barrel rifles I was told that the swamped barrel was failure of the gunsmith to draw file the barrel properly. In fact the person replying to me said that swamped barrels were no more than poor workmanship but sense the rifles exist with swamped barrels we are only following their imperfections
B.S.
A properly swamped barrel takes a lot of hard work. It is done to lighten the barrel and improve the "swing".

Both swamping and octagon to round are for weight reduction. Remember, the narrowest part of a swamped barrel is suspended ~3 feet in front of the shooter.
Another reason/theory for swamped barrels (as told to me, I can't prove it) was that with the soft iron used for barrels back in the day, the swamping absorbed much of the harmonic vibration caused by the exploding powder and gave much better accuracy than a straight barrel. Any expert input that can explain or refute this would be appreciated.

Find a better source ,like someone who has one other than a rank idiot who probably does not own or has the money to buy one !/Ed

Another reason/theory for swamped barrels (as told to me, I can't prove it) was that with the soft iron used for barrels back in the day, the swamping absorbed much of the harmonic vibration caused by the exploding powder and gave much better accuracy than a straight barrel. Any expert input that can explain or refute this would be appreciated.
Not according to Davy Crocket /Ed

The swamped barrel is certainly not poor workmanship. The swamping was intentional. Making straight barrels from a flat skelp and forge welded is not a simple operation, in fact nearly impossible. The draw filing to smooth the weld and forging marks made may have increased the swamping effect or not, but the smith certainly wanted a smooth surfaced barrel.

Originally barrels were made from a flat skelp of soft iron that was forge welded around a mandrel. The welding started at about the middle of the barrel. As the soft iron was heated to welding temperature and forged around the barrel, the soft iron moved towards the breech or muzzle. As a result, the barrel was smaller in over diameter where the welding started and greater at the muzzle and breech. The smith used swaging blocks with several sizes of half octagon sections to accommodate the barrel as the size changed as the barrel was formed around the mandrel. The benefit of having more metal at the breech to contain the ignition pressures and a larger muzzle to raise the front sight were not lost on the gunsmith. Neither was the good handling characteristics of a swamped barrel lost to the smith.

Was swamping a barrel intentional? Yes, but it was also a function of the manufacturing process. That's one reason that the historical dimensions of the swamped barrels vary so much from gun builder to gun builder. Once the deep drilling process and large-scale mills that would produce straight sided barrels or tapered barrels, swamping of barrels from a barrel manufacturer faded away. There are very few swamped barrels made after about 1850.

Last edited:
Back