• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swamp rabbit!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody2306

36 Cl.
Reaction score
First harvest out the national Forrest and first blood with the pedersoli 12 ga

Attachments

• 20220421_113326.jpg
    20220421_113326.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 138
When I was growing up we called swamp rabbits blue tails. Their tails were always this blue gray color from hanging out in the swampy areas and near the marsh. They also stank pretty bad.

The best hunting ever is running White (Varying Hare} Rabbits with a pair of Beagles, Here in Massachusetts season opens October 20th and runs until February 5th. Great thing about Whites is they do not hole up like a Cottontail. Now because of Coyote predation their population has dropped off to a point it is difficult to train Beagles. I do hunt Eastern Coyotes but it is a waste of time trying to hunt them with a Muzzleloader.

When I was growing up we called swamp rabbits blue tails. Their tails were always this blue gray color from hanging out in the swampy areas and near the marsh. They also stank pretty bad.
We called them marsh rabbits. They could swim with nothing out of the water but their nose. They also could run a pack of Beagles forever in a phone booth! Hunting the swamps with a pack of beables was way more fun than one man deserves. I am now dreaming of days gone by and the fun I had.

I hunted in way south Texas many years ago and I remember the rabbits down there were huge, like small dogs. Lol. Seems to me they called them Jack rabbits. Is that the same rabbit as a swamp?
No sir. From my understanding there are cotton tails, swamp rabbits ,and jack rabbits.

Back