• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swaged Knurled Minie Ball Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I had discussed this a little on another thread but wanted to bring it up here as I hate to hijack someone else's thread. So here goes...

I use a Corbin's swaging press to swage a lot of my bullets. I do that for the Whitworth, Sharps and Enfield rifles. It beats casting but that's another topic for another day.

I am in the process of redesigning another Minie ball to send to Corbin to order another set of dies. The main difference in my design compared to one with grooves is that I put a knurled pattern on the outside of the bullet. Below is a photo of a swaged smooth sided bullet and one with a knurled pattern. The diameter of the bullet on the left is .575. With knurling the diameter is increased anywhere from .004 to .008. So the one on the right is .579. Needless to say it's a little tight in a fouled barrel.

Minie Balls.jpg

Here is a poor drawing for my next design. The swaged diameter is .555.
I plan on making the knurling as deep as possible. After knurling, the diameter should increase to .563. I like the knurling as it retains more lubricant than a grooved bullet. If the outside of the bullet retained the knurled pattern upon firing and travel down the bore, that would be a lot of drag.

However, we know that with skirt expansion and obturation the points on the knurling will flatten and the lubricant forced out of the crevices onto the rifling. So hopefully, the sides of the bullet will smooth out and drag decreased.

Please take a look at the bottom of the bullet. I'm thinking about having the swaging dies machined so that the bullet will have a radius on the corner of the bottom edge.

The reason for the radius is that when the bullet is being pushed down a fouled barrel, it will be easier for it to go past the fouling. In addition the granules of burnt powder/fouling may move aside of the bullet and fall into some of the crevices of the knurling.

My theory is that this may make it easier to push a bullet down a fouled barrel and also spread some of the lubricant along the bore as it goes down the bore.

Anyway, I would appreciate any criticism or comments before I submit this to Corbin. Thanks.

Knurled Minie Ball Project.jpg

I didn't mind:); good project. I did make a "what if" suggestion though. You think cannelures spaced close together wouldn't bump up diameter between them and so create smooth sided driving bands? Was thinking knurling by itself would be more easily squished down and maybe skid on the lands.

I didn't mind:); good project. I did make a "what if" suggestion though. You think cannelures spaced close together wouldn't bump up diameter between them and so create smooth sided driving bands? Was thinking knurling by itself would be more easily squished down and maybe skid on the lands.
Corbin sells a muzzle loader grooving tool. If the knurling doesn't work, I could always try the grooving tool.

However, I don't think it will cause any sort of an increase in the diameter of the bullet or the driving bands as you suggest.

Nevertheless, I can ask the manufacturer if it displaces the lead and causes a buildup of lead that may function as a driving band, which would increase the effective diameter.

http://www.corbins.com/hct-3.htm

I just got off the phone with Corbin and placed an order. The only problem is that they cannot make a straight die set that can produce a radiused corner.

I would have to order an extra point forming die. Yes, that sounds weird for making a radiused base but that's the type of extra die required. It would take too much time to explain it. And it would cost more money.

Besides, I don't know if a radiused base would be worth it. The bullet is undersized to begin with, even with the knurling. So I decided to keep things simple.

It should take about a month to get the new die set. The weather should be really good then and I can go play with the Enfield.

Now that I've decided on a plain base, I'm thinking that I'll probably produce a bullet that is about 440 grains in weight. That's about the weight of a star-based Minie that I have in my small collection of original Minie balls.

The reason I'm doing that is that I discovered, to my dismay, that the Euroarms '58 Enfield has a 1:60" twist rather than the 1:48 that they advertise. So the heavier bullets won't stabilize very well.

Besides, the 440 grain bullet will allow me to get about 390 bullets from a 25 pound spool of lead wire. The 500 grain bullets will get me about 340 bullets to the same spool.

So what does everyone think? Will a 440 grain bullet work for a 1:60 twist barrel?

The shooting sports and war time weaponry would have never advanced if folks did not experiment. But sometimes a thing gets as good as it is going to get. Namely, the CW rifle musket, using the standard 575213OS minie has cut many an 'X'. From what champions have told me, that is as good as it can get. While I applaud your efforts, I am thinking "why?". Saving a little lead for the same accuracy does not seem worth the effort you are putting into this project. Just my tuppence.

The shooting sports and war time weaponry would have never advanced if folks did not experiment. But sometimes a thing gets as good as it is going to get. Namely, the CW rifle musket, using the standard 575213OS minie has cut many an 'X'. From what champions have told me, that is as good as it can get. While I applaud your efforts, I am thinking "why?". Saving a little lead for the same accuracy does not seem worth the effort you are putting into this project. Just my tuppence.

Excellent points but I hate casting bullets.

Besides, if my experiment succeeds and other Minie ball shooters who don’t swage can get custom molds to cast their own smooth sided bullets.

Then they can knurl their own bullets.

And if I don’t succeed, I can always fall back on what works.

Getting more and more interesting.
Plain bases is something I'm threatening to try this year my own self.
And my so called 1953 has a 48" twist so you just never know.

Knurled bullet would have less drag. Less bore contact = less drag.

Back