• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swaged balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Off and on I have heard comments concerning swaged round balls and how drewadfully inconsistent they were. I never believed those comments. How could it possibly be that a ball swaged from pure lead would be less consistent in weight than a cast ball? Well....... I was rummaging in the loading room yesterday and found a box of Hornady .530 swaged balls I didn't know I had. I turned on my electronic scale and began weighing them. Extreme spread was 1.9 grains. Hmmmm..........I was surprised! I ordered a .530 RB mold from Lee, we'll see if cast balls are really less consistent.

I went thru this some years ago and found little difference between my own casts balls (.530 an .495) and swaged balls form Hornady. I didn't feel the weight difference amounts made a significant difference to accuracy and liked the convenience of buying over casting for plinking or hunting.

I cast all my ammo; but a few years ago a friend gave me a box of Hornady .530" swaged ball. I found zero/0/no difference in loading or accuracy. In general, simply a "weight difference" makes little or no difference in accuracy. But if you're one of those dedicated "targetists" that wins only 3rd place in a match because of a 1/8" larger group on your target than the shooter getting 1st or 2nd place; it will make a difference.

I can't see well enough for a 1/8" difference in group. That said, I have found no difference I could determine between swaged and my cast with 490 and 530 balls. Since I can cast for about 3 pennies in lead per ball, that is what I do. I snagged a well used Lyman 4 banger 490 mold and it is just a pleasure to have the balls rain out of that thing.

Latest posts

Back