• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swage bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a black powder gun manual from the 60s. They talk about swaging blanks into bullets. Is this still done or is it a thing of the past?

A lot/most all of commercially supplied bullets/balls are swagged, eliminates overheated/under-heated molds as well as voids in the finished product.

You mentioned commercially cast balls being inconsistent. Would casting balls yourself be more or less consistent than the commercially available swaged balls? I only have experience with the latter, but it seems like with first person QC you could really nail that uniformity down.

You mentioned commercially cast balls being inconsistent.

In my experience, there is a considerable reject rate in home cast that just does not show up in swagged projectiles, not all voids are visible and will go unnoticed unless you weigh them individually and segregate accordingly. I have seen the action of cutting the sprue on a home cast ball smear lead over the cavity effectively making it non existent to the visual inspection. I've no idea what the reject rate of commercial cast projectiles is, but an acquaintance that shot competitive modern pistol invested in swag equipment versus cast for among other things a near non existent reject rate in finished product.

That said the process of home casting can be relaxing and quite enjoyable.

Last edited:
Swaging bullets is still done commercially and also by individual shooters.

For the individual, it is certainly not common, and it would be mostly limited to bullets for target shooting and not round balls.

Fleener

swage1.JPG
swage.JPG

Here are photographs of the weigh-in of two different balls from a single box of purchased swaged roundballs. Found nearly 10 grains of weigh variation, less than .0005” in diameter variation. Have seen worse, but don’t have photographic evidence. Personally have found that when everything is perfect and using weighed balls will have groups in the one inch range at 100 yards. Mix in the known goofballs from the same box and in the 3-4” range or more. Have seen significant weight variations in both red and yellow boxes of purchased swaged roundballs.

1610659800536.jpeg

1610659819854.jpeg

1610659870935.jpeg

1610659893933.jpeg

Here are photographs of the weigh-in of two different balls from a single box of purchased swaged roundballs. Found nearly 10 grains of weigh variation, less than .0005” in diameter variation. Have seen worse, but don’t have photographic evidence. Personally have found that when everything is perfect and using weighed balls will have groups in the one inch range at 100 yards. Mix in the known goofballs from the same box and in the 3-4” range or more. Have seen significant weight variations in both red and yellow boxes of purchased swaged roundballs.
It's still an imperfect process and being in the same box does not guarantee that the alloy is the same.

It has been a few years but I have visited Hornady's facility for a tour twice. If my memory serves me correctly they had a really big lead pot that they cast their own ingots in. Those ingots were the right size for them to swage lead rope out of. The lead rope of what ever dia. they were making came squirting out of the press and a guy was standing there guiding it onto a spool.

Those spools were then used at the various machines to swage out bullets or round balls. The round balls were placed in plastic cement mixer with a couple of towels thrown in and they were tumbled for a while. When I asked how long they tumbled them, the answer was "for a while"

If you find yourself in Grand Island NE or passing through, it is worth a stop for the tour.

Fleener

It's a surprising historical fact that balls have been swaged in this country for 200 years.

William N. Blane, _An Excursion through the United States and Canada, during the Years 1822-3 by an English Gentleman_
pg 382 "Another very ingenious machine forms musket-bullets by mere compression. There are two wheels of steel, the circumferences of which are pierced with small cups, each of sufficient size to contain half a musket-bullet. These cups are close to one another, and have at the bottom a very small hole to allow the escape of air, which would otherwise prevent the lead from completely filling the cavity. A small strip of lead, somewhat thicker than the diameter of a musket-bullet, is introduced between the circumferences of the wheels, which nearly touch one another, and which by revolving force it into the cups, from whence it afterwards falls out on the opposite side in the shape of complete spheres."

Spence

Weight consistency of round ball may be critical in formal matches or for those desiring one-hole groups at 100 yds and over; but I cast my own and only do a visible inspection and accuracy is just fine. I simply cannot shoot well enough with primitive open sights to tell any difference even at 50 yds. On occasion I've weighed my cast ball just for record. The weight variation was always small to rather modest. I've even fired good groups using the culls. For those individuals who are really great shots these small variations in weight make a difference on the target that is quite noticeable to them. Myself? forget it!

Latest posts

Back