• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swabbing between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to find if there's any consensus on barrel swabbing between shots. Using Real BP or Pyrodex Select. After every shot? After every ______ shots? Swab with what? T/C 13 or 17, alcohol, Ballistrol (Moose milk), etc.?

If you're bench shooting for accuracy, then swab with a wet patch and follow up with a dry patch for every shot. Your technique must be the same with every shot, powder volume, ball weight, patch thickness, equal amounts of lube on the patch, and a consistent amount of pressure applied when seating the ball.

I swab after each shot when sighting in a rifle. Once the sights are set I don't swab again until loading becomes difficult. I get more shots between swabs with .015" patches than with the .018" , but the .018" patches give me tighter groups.

I went years swabbing between shots during matches. I have a range on my property so I took a few rifles one day and decided to try not swabbing and see what happened. I used for patch lube the same winter blend windshield washer fluid I used for swabbing. I’d shoot a first fouling shot, load powder, wet my patched ball with the WWF and shoot. I never seen a change in impact or accuracy between swabbing and not swabbing. My WWF patch cleaned the barrel as I loaded the next round. It also doesn’t push fouling into the breach like swabbing can. Maybe I’m lucky maybe not. I also don’t shoot loads that are so tight I have to use a hammer to get them started. I think it depends on your personal rifle, how tight your patched ball is and your lube choice. I still win as many matches as I did when i swabbed between shots. Now I have more time to drink coffee and shoot the breeze rather than swabbing. Experiment and see what happens.

Most people seem to use equal portions, but I use 1 M, 3 A, 2 P because that's what I was told by an old timer.....

I was taught 1:1:1 ratio of the three ingredients.
We use the stuff to clean reenactment muskets which have the fouling of 24-36 consecutive blanks.

Trying to find if there's any consensus on barrel swabbing between shots.

As for swabbing...it depends...
Some rifles do very well with a spit swabbing after each shot..., but some actually experience trouble with the second shot when this is done.
Some need a swab, and a drying for best accuracy, and some go two or three shots, THEN need a swab.
The humidity will play a factor, and so might the lube on the patch.
I've noticed that the calibers less than .45 seem to need more swabbing more often. My .40 need to be swabbed while the touch hole has the pick inserted, and the hole has to be picked just after loading, each shot, to reliably fire.

LD

never swab when using a patched roundball, use a oil/watersolution as patchlube.
If using a 500gn bullet, swab after every shot with a damp patch.

I swab between shots. it is just part of my loading routine. it really doesn't add much time and it keeps my accuracy constant. I use a damp spit patch. just placing it on my tongue for a second is enough. I Think a lot of people that have a problem with it use a sopping wet patch that squeezes out the solution. the solution then collects in the breech and dampens the next powder charge.

So, to the OP's original comments; obviously there is no consensus. Each must make up their own mind if this is a necessary step in their shooting routine. The bulk of my shooting is offhand at our range. Swabbing between shots isn't/hasn't helped me any. The ability to hold on target, clearly see the target and hold on follow through are of greater concern to me. I followed the advice of one of our region's top shooters to switch to a mix of Dawn and water for lube. Shoot all day, no swabbing needed.

There is no consensus on whether to wipe the bore with a damp patch between shots or not. As @Loyalist Dave observes, "It depends."

Several things have to be considered before one goes about answering this question. All of the considerations have to do with how the inevitable fouling builds up in the barrel.

First: What is the end goal that you want to achieve as a result of your shooting experience? Great accuracy on target with the goal of many holes near the X ring or fun making round steel gong ring out? Many of those who pursue the elusive X ring on the target or the elusive spider (placing a bullet on the crossing lines of an over the log, chunk gun or table shoot target). @Johnny Tremain is looking for accuracy and ease of loading that is needed to enjoy many shots during a trail walk. X ring accuracy is not needed, and his loading method works for him. When I am participating in a Chunk Gun match where putting a ball as close to the crossing of the lines in the center of the target, I find wiping between shots is required for the extremely small groups needed to be competitive

Second: What is the configuration of the breech? Is the breech flat faced or is there a chamber where the breech plug is threaded into the barrel? Great care must be taken to prevent fouling from getting packed into a chambered breech or touch hole that will create a blockage. Often rifles with chambered breeches work best without a wipe that pushes fouling down into the chambered breech. There one effectively does the wiping between the shots with an almost dripping wet patch that wipes the fouling from the bore and leaves the fouling between the powder charge and the patched ball. Pyrodex Select will generate less of the sooty fouling and require less wiping of the bore. The Pyrodex fouling is still generated and must be rigorously removed by cleaning after the match.

Third: What process are you willing to follow to keep the fouling in the bore at a consistent level while keeping fouling out of the flash channel? One method is to use a smaller jag than the bore caliber. The smaller caliber jag and patch will slide over the fouling as the barely damp patch is sent to the breech and the patch will bunch up and remove the fouling as the patch is withdrawn. The other is to mark the ramrod about an inch above the breech face to know where to stop the patch from pushing too much fouling into the chamber and touch hole. With a chambered breech, about every 3 to 5 shots a brush sized for the chamber with cleaning patch can be used to remove fouling from the chambered breech. Of course then brush is needed to clear the touch hole on a flint lock or a cap fired in a percussion lock to blow debris out of the touch hole and chamber.

How often must one address the bore condition? That's what load development is about. For most of us, a wipe of the bore every 3rd to 5th shot is sufficient. As @M. De Land has observed, under certain conditions of humidity, fouling can build up at the breech when the bore is not wiped to cause a blockage of the flash channel. I have experienced that wiping between every shot can push fouling into the flash channel and by about the 5th to 7th shot fouling can build up enough tp prevent firing.

Learn the methods that will work best for your application.

Started shooting muzzle loaders back in the 70's as a match shooter. I have always swabbed between shots with a DAMP patch. Use a spray bottle with water and Dawn dish soap cleaning solution, one squirt to get the patch damp. 99% of the time used a spit patch, only time used any kind of lube is when hunting. Too many times over the years I have seen guys who didn't swab between shots get the ball stuck part way down the barrel.

Back