• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Swabbing between shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATROD56

40 Cal
Reaction score
What's best to use for stabbing in between shots? Can moose milk be used?

Saliva in the woods, at a range I set a canteen on my table and use that. You don’t need it sopping just damp.
I’ve done this since the 1970s and have never used moose milk. But if you got it handy it should work fine.

I use M.A.P.
Equal parts Murphy's oil soap, Alcohol, and Hydrogen peroxide.
Do it right, and you aren't just "swabbing", you are cleaning it.

Otherwise, most anything liquid can be used, but it helps to have some alcohol in the mix to facilitate drying.

Last edited:
I keep an old nasal spray bottle, filled with my mix of alcohol and murphys oil soap in my range box, to use for swabbing patches.

Windex!! One sprayed with Windex, then one dry patch. Never a problem. The one with ammonia seems to work a little better. It dries real fast. Moose milk works but dries slow & can get yer powder wet if you are not careful.

Some people use windshield wiper fluid. Its cheap and works well. Typically I don't swab between shots unless loading gets difficult or accuracy goes south like in my smaller caliber rifles. I mostly use spit patch which usually doesn't need swabbing.

all the above is good. this one i use and have a bunch of damp patches in a small container made up for the one damp patch and two dry patches between shots. it is a little anti freeze mixed with water. it prevents rust and also lubes a little. it is the best thing to clean a barrel with when done shooting. it prevents rust in you car and will do the same in the gun bore. learned that from old timers when i was young. im not young anymore and they are all gone. their hint lives on.

Basically, the best solution for swabbing or wiping between shots is whatever water based liquid you have at hand. Of course "Moose Milk" can be used whether it is MAP or Water Soluble Oil (with water) or Ballistol, or Windex (with or without ammonia), or winter grade windshield washer solution (with alcohol), or water or spit or whatever. What you have at the time is the best for the conditions you find yourself.

There are some cleansers that should not be used especially bathroom cleansers. I used (without thinking) a bathroom spray cleanser. It was a spray on cleaner that was environmentally friendly so I thought it would be ok. Took the brown off the outside of my rifle just as quick as it ran down it.

Latest posts

Back