• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swabbing between shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratrod56:

A damp moose milk patch followed by a dry patch precedes every load when I am shooting in a match. Shoot, damp patch, dry patch, load, repeat as necessary. Same consistent bore condition for every shot. I also wipe the frizzen face, pan, and flint after each shot. "The name of the game is the same."

ADK Bigfoot

Ratrod56:

A damp moose milk patch followed by a dry patch precedes every load when I am shooting in a match. Shoot, damp patch, dry patch, load, repeat as necessary. Same consistent bore condition for every shot. I also wipe the frizzen face, pan, and flint after each shot. "The name of the game is the same."

ADK Bigfoot
Thank you, I appreciate it Mr Foot.😁

IIRC, isn't HEET ethyl alcohol (corn liquor)? Same stuff they mix with gasoline, isn't it? I believe they "denature" it so you can't enjoy drinking it. Been years since I used any, so just going buy old memories.

It is isopropyl, 98.5-99%

Ratrod56:

ADK Bigfoot
I would add using a dental flossing brush to wipe the touch hole between shots.

I also pick before every shot. My pics are made from small Allen wrenches, with a chisel point on the end. As I push and turn, it completely clears the channel. This really helps with fast ignition.

ADK Bigfoot

Between shots I use dry tow because it won't get stuck in the bore like a patch. I don't want anything wet in the bore.

I try to stay PC and not use anything modern for shooting or cleaning. Ballistol is 100 years too new. Cool water and tow does it all. Bear grease for patch lube.

Have shot 75 rounds without one swab, Deep cut grooves in the ole Rice barrel.
Each round cleans the prior one.

Thompson Center 1000+ Bore Butter & No. 13 Cleaner. Even our patches are soaked in No.13.
Being lazy has its advantages

Back