• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Superfine powder difference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct that the total energy is the same. However, the finer grain will burn faster by comparison creating a quicker energy spike that with some firearms could cause an issue. I make my own BP and have played with and tested several times the difference with grainsize and pressures.
How was the pressure/energy tested?

J. Paul.
No sir, for more than four years I have been asking for the evidence that using 4f as a main charge normally is dangerous. If indeed it is dangerous and does blow barrels apart please show me.
Why assume I would not believe you?

So, how did you conduct your tests? Where did the barrel fail ? What were the load parameters?
Would seem the answer would lie in using scientific testing instruments to determine pressure. I’d doubt the average shooter is going to have access to that. All black powder fire arms manufactured in Italy are proof tested. I’d be interested to learn the methods on how thats done. Most likely with propellants other than inefficient black powder. And who the heck is going to clean all them barrels and cylinders after. Too many variables with an explosive like black that spews such a large quantity of its energy out as smoke and soot.
You tube abounds with folks trying to blow up guns with over charges of powder.

GOOD NEWS I found 5 full cans of 3f in my unmentionable stash drawers that I had overlooked. So now I'm good to go shoot.
Thanks, for you all's help
OB One
But wait, we were just going to get the low down on how dangerous 4f is!
Dang, I've been waiting so long for the evidence too 😭.
Where is my comfort blanket.....

I have a number of Dupont cans from the 1920's that all have the granulation in F's on them.
There is Dupont powder made in Pennsylvania and then there is Dupont powder made along the river in Wilmington, Delaware. The best (strongest, also) is what was actually made in Delaware. Yes, I know that the Dupont company has its headquarters in Wilmington, DE but some time in the 1920's I understand they ceased to make rifle quality black powder in Delaware. They switched to the inferior product, I believe Blasting Powder, that was made in Eastern Pennsylvania until that mill blew up about 1970. Dupont sold what remained of that plant to whoever made GOEX.. They/GOEX made and sold some explosive which they called "black powder" but it had some deficiencies. Using Eastern PA groundwater, rather than distilled water from steam engines to mix the three ingredients affected how this powder behaved.
Anyway if you have the stuff actually PRODUCED in Wilmington, Delaware, you have some good rifle powder.
Yes, the fineness of the grains is rated by the # of F's. Rifles use Fg or FFg, very small bores use FFFg. Likewise shotguns, which need a fast powder use FFFg. FFFFg is ONLY used to prime a flintlock.

I have a 1 lb can of Dupont superfine rifle black powder. One person said it was possibly the same as 4f ?
Does anyone know if it can safely be used in place of 2f or 3f?
Did you buy it or was it given to you? If you don't know what is in the can, use caution. Finer powder than 4F was made by Dupont.

I lve seen some guys pound it in and others just seat the patch and ball what effect does compression have on the charge?

In black powder cartridge rifles, the powder is compressed up to 2 tenths of an inch for various reasons. One reason is consistency as equal pressure gives consistent velocity. Many shooters throw their ramrods down onto the patched ball in the barrel until the ramrod bounces. It shows them that the pressure on the powder is consistent.

In black powder cartridge rifles, the powder is compressed up to 2 tenths of an inch for various reasons. One reason is consistency as equal pressure gives consistent velocity. Many shooters throw their ramrods down onto the patched ball in the barrel until the ramrod bounces. It shows them that the pressure on the powder is consistent.
And the inconsistent dings in the soft led help the ball to veer off course🤦‍♂️

And the inconsistent dings in the soft led help the ball to veer off course🤦‍♂️
Two things, I have never looked down a loaded barrel to see if there were dings in the lead. I am surprised that you have done that.
If you use a decent ram rod with a cup on the end to push the ball patch combo down the barrel, I am surprised that you saw any dings.

Two things, I have never looked down a loaded barrel to see if there were dings in the lead. I am surprised that you have done that.
If you use a decent ram rod with a cup on the end to push the ball patch combo down the barrel, I am surprised that you saw any dings.
Two things.
Not all rammers are made the same and try pulling a ball out to look see. Safer that way than you assumed 👍

Two things.
Not all rammers are made the same and try pulling a ball out to look see. Safer that way than you assumed 👍
You do realize you are fighting the dogma of "flat earthers" right?

You'd have an easier time having a productive discussion and changing the mind of a suicide vest wearing jihadi.

I get the impression you would not believe my testing results over the last 4 years. I'll quit wasting time now, and not even try
You can get that impression all you want. But, we actually would really love to know all about your testing.
Not, just the results. But your methodology and equipment used, test data gained and how it was analyzed....

But,,,,,, I get the impression, there is no such testing, or, your testing methods are such that you know holes can be poked in it with overcooked spaghetti.

Some interesting pics posted on Instagram today that fit this topic, as well as the one by @George about his old can of powder.
I'm not sure if it is okay to post the screenshots I took of the pics.
Here is a link to the post,

Back