• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Superfine powder difference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really wouldn't claim any knowledge one way or the other concerning the #Fs that are safe or not safe, that's an individual decision. I DO agree on the superiority of the Delaware produced powder; I lost eyebrows to that superiority as a kid. :doh:

I have used 4f as main charge for years- no issues. You will find the powder
is more available --and it does not clump up more than other granulations.
Not recommending to others, but that is what I use for consistent power.

There is a powder can museum of the DuPont family. Many cans from
1843 to 1913. I do not doubt that the f grades existed--but not on cans
back then. Looked at many cans. Now I did find an "F" accross the can is a
"G" which I think is Graphite coated -non clumping.
1639017610595.jpeg
1639017610595.jpeg

Early in this thread I stated that in the Period they used F &C,, might have meant
F & G. Powder came in Fine & Course(cannon). In any case as I said both sides
might be correct--and probably are. This is an example from the powder trade
of the day. As for 4f there is huge evidence that it was a pistol powder back in the day
but was sold as "Fine Pistol Powder" which I recall being recommended for Colt
revolvers in the period of their manufacture by Colt.

This RS is a full can. It has " replica powder" on it. I would assume for only "replica guns" . I need to open it and test the self life of it. I have always heard that "replica powder" will go bad over time.

Attachments

• 20211209_201517.jpg
    20211209_201517.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 30
This RS is a full can. It has " replica powder" on it. I would assume for only "replica guns" . I need to open it and test the self life of it. I have always heard that "replica powder" will go bad over time.
Replica as in not real black powder. I've heard that it's shelf life is limited as well maybe feed it to your garden or lawn?

Well that is pyrodex--so yes test some out first. Use Real Black if
hunting to be sure of killing power. Pyrodex was weaker after
several years of storage for me,--but it had been opened.

I'm not going to open it anytime soon, but I am curious just how weak it will be after 50 years. Was told it was from the early 70's.

When you do try it, record and make photos. It may be of
interest to Hodgdon too ,because they still make it.
Powder stability is an issue as many people are looking to
stock up with items that will sore well.

Pyrodex replicates the performance of black powder and is intended to be a volumetric equivalent of black powder. I would only use Pyrodex in an original firearm in a volumetric measure and reduced at least 10% from a black powder load. Be very aware that the fouling from Pyrodex is far more corrosive than black powder fouling so a very thorough cleaning is required. And Pyrodex that is that old could have a reduced performance. Be prepared by using magnum caps and don't even try using Pyrodex that old in a flint lock.

I don't use Pyrodex in any of my old percussion guns. Only black powder. One of my friends called me a couple months ago, one that I had asked to keep a look out for some BP. He travels all over hunting. He called me and asked if I would take 4 lbs at 25$ each. He was buying bulk to get a better price. Told him sounds great to me, I will take 4 or even 10 at that price. The store he was buying from limited 10 per day, so 4 it was. I was pretty excited about the score. I should have asked a few more questions but he seemed in a hurry and I was busy when he called. I was very disappointed when he dropped it off at the house and it was RS Pyrodex. He shoots inlines and was referring to it as Black Powder. I explained to him the difference and his comment was "I have never heard that" . So counting that Original can from the 70's I now have 5 lbs in storage. I guess one day in an extreme shortage I will be forced to use it.

Back