• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Summertime Smoothies (ended)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Another recent request was for a smoothbore roundball shoot. I can't put this one off any longer 'cause I love shootin' my smoothie. :grin:

Any traditional muzzleloading smoothbore long gun firing a single projectile is allowed.
There will be separate categories for sighted smoothbore and smoothbores with no rear sight.
And we have now added a 3rd category for "Big Honking Military Flintlock Muskets" .65-.75 caliber

No cannons.

The target is a standard 8.5 x 11" sheet of printer paper with an X drawn thru the center.
The X is optional. You may use any aiming point you desire but the center of the paper will be the center of the target.

Distance is 25 yards.

Shots are to be taken off-hand.

3 shots per target.

Targets with more than 3 holes will be disqualified. (Staple/tack holes and torn corners from tape are OK. )

All shots must be completely on the paper. Targets with shots that break the edge of the paper will be disqualified. If you hit the edge, get another sheet of paper and try again.

Group size, and distance from center of group to center of target will be measured and added together.

Smallest total score determines the winner.

Targets that have been mutilated will be disqualified.

All Muzzleloadingforum members are eligible to participate.

Members screen name and "smoothbore" must be written on their target along with "sighted" , "no sight", or "Military".(So I can sort 'em out and we know who won. )

One entry per category per member.

Multiple targets may be submitted in the same envelope to save postage if more than one member shoots in the same group.

Targets must be received by September 10, 2010 to be eligible.

Targets received after September 10, 2010 will be disqualified.

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! :hatsoff:

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Drats another reason to visit the range! I actually have a smooth rifle I never shoot, I might break it out also! It sounds like Smoothbore day at the range to me! :grin:

Well if Grizz is going to enter then I have to enter. Jethro are you going to shoot this? You already gave Grizz and I a thumping at Friendship.

Many Klatch

If I shoot the contests it's just for my own fun. Wouldn't hardly seem fair if I play since I do all the measuring for scoring. :idunno: :surrender:

It's all for grins and bragging rights anyway. You can't hang it on the wall might as well have fun!!
Jethro, be sure to add your score in the mix with an asterix! Manyklatch and I have to know how we did against you!
:bow:

I don't want to add a lot of work to you Jethro; but how about a 3rd smoothbore category for "Big Honking Military Muskets"?

Many Klatch

grzrob said:
It's all for grins and bragging rights anyway. You can't hang it on the wall might as well have fun!!
Jethro, be sure to add your score in the mix with an asterix! Manyklatch and I have to know how we did against you!
:bow:

OK, ya talked me into it. I'll shoot and post my own score too, but it won't count toward the contest, just for fun. :thumbsup:

Many Klatch said:
I don't want to add a lot of work to you Jethro; but how about a 3rd smoothbore category for "Big Honking Military Muskets"?

Many Klatch

I actually considered that. :grin:

What the heck! Since it has been requested, we'll do it. More red stuff added above. :thumbsup:

Awright you guys, I done the deed. Took my 3 shots this afternoon with my Bess. No warm-ups, no do-overs, there it is. My official, unofficial target is shot. :thumbsup: Good luck. :hatsoff:

I got my shots in yesterday as well. Great minds work in the same rut. I did practice a bit first though. I was trying 70 grains of 2F in the Bess and could not get it to stay on the paper. My standard load of 90 grains worked much better.

Many Klatch

Great minds indeed! I shot mine yesterday! I shot two of them the second was the best. It will be in the mail tomorrow! I have yet to get a replacement frizzen for my WOG musket so I used my
67 caliber light dragoon carbine.

Jethro, I shoot a .648 ball in the carbine which is under the .650 minimum limit. So put my target in the larger pool it ain't fair to you and Manyklatch. Plus I have the carbine cooking now!

:thumbsup:

...67 caliber light dragoon carbine.

....648 ball in the carbine

Sounds like a Big Honkin' Military Flintlock Musket to me. I wouldn't quibble over .002 of ball diameter. Maybe if the bore was .648, but not the ball.
What say you Many Klatch? Does Grizz qualify?

Jethro, if a modern pistol with a .357 bullet can be called a .38 I think we can cut Grizz .002 of slack on this one.

Many Klatch

Well I ain't lettin' any .357s in, but a musket with a .67 bore works for me. Hear that Grizz? Yer in the Big Honkin' category. :thumbsup:

6 in hand but I'm due for a P.O. Box run. They usually don't pile in until the last minute anyway.
There's at least one in every category too. :thumbsup:

Back