• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sujuck? With venison?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Does anyone here make their own sujuck? I'm thinking it would be good made with a venison mix. The one I usually buy, from Smith's Smokehouse, is a lamb and beef mix, so I'm thinking if one had a gamey bit of venison for some reason it would be a good substitute for the lamb. Has anyone tried this?

I’ve never done it. But pepperoni and Salami are both fermented also. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten sujuc
Zimmerman, who did the unusual food show on discovery channel some years ago did a fermented sausage from North Africa. It was the only time I ever saw him spit out a food

To me it is the lamb and the cumin that make it so good, and the dry texture

20211212_113459.jpg

The
Ingredients include
Cultures to
Ferment the
Sausage
No cultures in
Jimmy Dean

Jim in La Luz
😎

Does anyone here make their own sujuck? I'm thinking it would be good made with a venison mix. The one I usually buy, from Smith's Smokehouse, is a lamb and beef mix, so I'm thinking if one had a gamey bit of venison for some reason it would be a good substitute for the lamb. Has anyone tried this?

Well there is "gamey" when there is some blood with the meat, and there is "gamey" when the buck was old and the scent glands were not properly handled during butchering.... then some folks say there is "gamey" taste when actually the meat has started to turn..., and there is "gamey" when the deer have been into mostly pine forest...,

I'd say the first two types YES some Sujuk or garlic salami would handle the flavor. The other two, you will need a large amount of ginger to deal with the taste.

LD

Well there is "gamey" when there is some blood with the meat, and there is "gamey" when the buck was old and the scent glands were not properly handled during butchering.... then some folks say there is "gamey" taste when actually the meat has started to turn..., and there is "gamey" when the deer have been into mostly pine forest...,

I'd say the first two types YES some Sujuk or garlic salami would handle the flavor. The other two, you will need a large amount of ginger to deal with the taste.

LD
I agree. Luckily, we don't let our meat get to the 1st example of the last two, and pine fed deer are pretty rare where I hunt. Usually don't have that scent gland problem with bucks either, but find that certain cuts are just stronger than others especially at peak rate. Had some does be a bit strong too.

Going to suggest trying this to my friend who does a ton of game processing and cooking. He has a lot of guys bring him deer and just want a couple choice cuts and the rack if there is one. He makes all sorts of great stuff and does a better, cleaner, and more efficient job than any commercial processing place I've ever seen.

Back