• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suggestions - 54 Cal Flintlock Longrifle 8.5 Lbs or Less

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to add to my two percussion Hawkens (50 CVA & 54 TC). I would like to know if there is 54 cal longrifle with a barrel at least 36" long and slow twist that will be a PRB shooter that would weigh 8.5 lbs or less. Aside from enjoying time at the range, I would like to go elk hunting and do not want to trek around creation with something that weighs too much. I would like to stay below $1,000. Lower the better. Used is ok. I am not opposed to a kit but unfortunately do not have the tools for a big project.

I am not trying to solicit offers. I am trying to get an idea of what to look for.

Any suggestions?

Dave

Might consider a Kibler Colonial Kit. Weight might be closer to 9 pounds, but balance is superb. My 58 cal recently acquired came in at 8.5# and my buddies 54, just shy of 9#. Superb quality, very accurate, and an easy kit to complete. Price $1050.

I think the only guns that meet the requirements are custom built or, originals if you can find one.

A 36" .54 caliber barrel weigh about 5 pounds all by itself leaving only 3 1/2 pounds for the stock, lock and the rest of the hardware. Building the gun that's being sought might be a pretty tough job.

My Kibler 54 came in at 9 pounds 2 ounces and feels lighter then that in the hand. The barrel is around 43” and swamped. I suppose a hack saw could bring it down to 36” and a pound lighter.

I believe Colerain sells an octagon-to-round rifle barrel. That would save some weight. Track sells them or you might call Colerain direct. You will have to have the gun built or buy used. $1000 new won't do it. That is just over parts cost for a custom build. A used Harpers Ferry would get close, but the production guns have architecture problems.

Last edited:
Pedersoli Frontier .54 is listed at around 7 1/2 lbs. Greg
AFAFAFB3-9345-4EB6-8CA9-10199FBC5840.png

Thank you Greg. I missed that.

On TOTW I found: Build Track's Isaac Haines 1770 era Lancaster longrifle, 38" swamped heavy 'C" profile barrel. A little pricey when everything is added and out of my skill level right now but a barrel at 4.2 lbs would keep the weight down.

I have a 66 caliber with a 44 inch barrel that weighs 6.5 pounds. It has octagon to round barrel with a big hole in the middle and a really thin walnut stock. You can get lighter barrels if you go with 62 or larger caliber.

Track also sells the TFC and NWG with a .58 rifles barrel half round, I think they offer precision variants
You could how to a 32” with out loss of performance.

Back