• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Successful fall hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished grinding, packaging and freezing hamburger. 135lbs. Another 125 or so lbs of steaks, loins, ribs and shanks were vac packed yesterday and are wet aging for 21 days. With the deer and elk my 17 cube freezer will be packed full.
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Semper fi.

The fruits of my labor. Deer loin tip ala plancha, roasted white beans and tomatoes (from the garden) with chorizo made from a hog I shot and spiral pasta with Italian sausage made from the same hog.

loin.jpeg

Glad those Deerslayer bullets were effective. I used to load them in my Lyman .50 cal. Trade Rifle. They were superbly accurate. Thanks for sharing.

In 8 days of hunting I harvested an cow elk and doe deer during traditional muzzleloader season on draw tags in Idaho. Deer was taken at 75 yards, looking directly at me from behind brush. Took her in the neck seated and from a bipod rest. Elk was taken broadside at 85 yards through the shoulder. It broke the leg directly below the elbow joint in the shoulder, through both sides of the lungs and destroyed the heart, lodging under the skin between ribs on far side. As heart was destroyed and there was no exit wound, no blood trail, but with a destroyed heart she only went 20 yards and dropped dead. Nice, fat 3 year old cow.

I shot her with a 24" 54 cal CVA frontier hunter with CVA 385 grain deerslayer conical with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and using a musket cap.

Pictures show the damage to the shoulder leg bones, the recovered bullet and an unfired bullet.
Deer season opens in Georgia next month going to try it with my muzzleloader. Thanks for the post and pics

Back