• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

"Success"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBird

36 Cal.
Reaction score
After getting my first deer last year, I've been at it since archery season this year with nothing to show for it, a number of doe sightings during buck only hunts.

We've finally hit the primitive only hunts on the local wmas for the last few weeks of the season and have a chance at does which is fine with me. We've had high winds the last few days so I decided to try a new area last night. I sat on one ridge facing another ridge upwind of me hoping deer would be moving towards a clear cut a few hundred yards behind me.

With about 15 minutes of light left she came along the opposing ridge about 50 yards away. Stopped and gave me plenty of time to get a "well" aimed shot off. While waiting for the smoke to clear I heard no movement and sure enough she had dropped where she was standing. I had aimed a little higher than last year to avoid a heart shot as well as misjudged the distance. The ball hit neck/ spine. I reloaded quicky and headed to the deer to finish the job, 54 at a few yards ended things quickly.

Not how I wanted things to go, as I always tell myself I wont take a shot I'm not confident in making cleanly. Lessons learned just glad I didn't wound and lose the deer. It's probably inevitable at some point it'll happen.

Now it's time to start butchering, better prepared and more knowledgeable this year so hopefully less wasted meat than my first deer.
PXL_20221221_230449788.PORTRAIT.jpg

Why avoid a heart shot? I have never killed a deer so I am genuinely asking/curious, not being critical.
Good question.

1) Some people like to eat the heart.

2) A heart shot deer can run an amazing amount of distance. I've had them go as far as 100 yards. They go on pure adrenaline/remaining oxygen and when the heart stops the blood trail can quickly taper. I have found that, on average, double lung shot deer go down more quickly than just a heart shot. Some go for the "high shoulder" shot, which is really more the juncture of neck and shoulder. Huge nerve center and they will drop in their tracks. Not much room for error though.

3) The heart sits at the very bottom of the chest in a deer. If you shoot a tad low, you miss. Aiming for center lungs gives one the greatest fudge factor. That said, with bow I will aim lower because deer have an amazing ability to immediately react to the sound of the bowstring and, in gathering their legs under themselves to take flight, can drop down several inches before the arrow strikes. Not an issue with guns (deer reacting).

I'm sure there are more reasons, but those are based on my experience.

Well done sir... Everything thing doesn't go to plan all the time when hunting... And wounding deer... yes sometimes it's a part of it unfortunately... We don't strive to do it.. and we do our best to make sure that we have clean shots ... But it doesn't always happen... that way...they are animals with their own brains and move plus a lot of other variables...but all in all well done and congratulations

After getting my first deer last year, I've been at it since archery season this year with nothing to show for it, a number of doe sightings during buck only hunts.

We've finally hit the primitive only hunts on the local wmas for the last few weeks of the season and have a chance at does which is fine with me. We've had high winds the last few days so I decided to try a new area last night. I sat on one ridge facing another ridge upwind of me hoping deer would be moving towards a clear cut a few hundred yards behind me.

With about 15 minutes of light left she came along the opposing ridge about 50 yards away. Stopped and gave me plenty of time to get a "well" aimed shot off. While waiting for the smoke to clear I heard no movement and sure enough she had dropped where she was standing. I had aimed a little higher than last year to avoid a heart shot as well as misjudged the distance. The ball hit neck/ spine. I reloaded quicky and headed to the deer to finish the job, 54 at a few yards ended things quickly.

Not how I wanted things to go, as I always tell myself I wont take a shot I'm not confident in making cleanly. Lessons learned just glad I didn't wound and lose the deer. It's probably inevitable at some point it'll happen.

Now it's time to start butchering, better prepared and more knowledgeable this year so hopefully less wasted meat than my first deer.View attachment 184681
Congratulations. Well done sir.

Good question.

1) Some people like to eat the heart.

2) A heart shot deer can run an amazing amount of distance. I've had them go as far as 100 yards. They go on pure adrenaline/remaining oxygen and when the heart stops the blood trail can quickly taper. I have found that, on average, double lung shot deer go down more quickly than just a heart shot. Some go for the "high shoulder" shot, which is really more the juncture of neck and shoulder. Huge nerve center and they will drop in their tracks. Not much room for error though.

3) The heart sits at the very bottom of the chest in a deer. If you shoot a tad low, you miss. Aiming for center lungs gives one the greatest fudge factor. That said, with bow I will aim lower because deer have an amazing ability to immediately react to the sound of the bowstring and, in gathering their legs under themselves to take flight, can drop down several inches before the arrow strikes. Not an issue with guns (deer reacting).

I'm sure there are more reasons, but those are based on my experience.
Excellent answer. Accurate and well formulated.

Back